Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Enclosed Porch Floor Joists

I'm having a house built and the front porch foundation is enclosed with the same brick foundation as the house. The floor joists from the main house continue on to the porch. Same untreated lumber. They run front to back. The porch floor will be tongue and groove treated that I plan to prime and paint before it's installed. My concern is how will they nail the flooring if the joists are running parallel and should the joists be treated? I'm going to check to see if there is a slope, too.

Thanks,
Dave

detanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

I usually see the porch run the other way. the way you describe any water that blows in will soak intio the T&G joint and rot it out faster, even more so when the board get alittle cup to them

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #3

Do you think the floor joists should be treated?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

yes, so they are doing it wrong on both counts lol
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #5

Well, The framer made a mistake! One of 4 so far. I went back the next day and the floor joists were gone from the porch area. I thought I was seeing things and when I asked him about it, he said he must have not been thinking straight. Now it has treated joists running side to side on 16" center. The 45's aren't what I expected but he says they will block them in instead of a continious 45 from the house to the outside corner.

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by detanner View Post
Well, The framer made a mistake! One of 4 so far. I went back the next day and the floor joists were gone from the porch area. I thought I was seeing things and when I asked him about it, he said he must have not been thinking straight. Now it has treated joists running side to side on 16" center. The 45's aren't what I expected but he says they will block them in instead of a continious 45 from the house to the outside corner.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Believe it or not, some mistakes can happen on a project. Most are fixed before the home owners see them, and sadly, there are some that are not.
On large projects, there are Foreman, or GC's to oversee everything. On major state, town, commercial projects, there are onsite engineers to oversee everything.
Sadly, some property owners decide to attemt to GC their own projects with minimal experience and are unable to properly determine what is being done right (or exceptionally right) and what might be done wrong. Now, I am only stating this as a point of reference for others to ponder, it is not directing towards you by any means.

Now, I will state this: Good catch on your part!!

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote