Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #1

Share |

Enclosed carport

Hello,
I am remodeling my house and the carport was enclosed when I bought the house. I had paid a contractor to remove a door with skylights and frame it up for a window. When tearing out the paneling on the wall facing the driveway. I got a surprise.... The contractor had took the door out left the skylight and framed it up put a window in and covered it with paneling on the inside and OSB and vinyl on the outside. The 2x4 plate was sitting directly on the concrete floor of the old carport. This is a problem cause the front yard slopes down toward the front of the house. the plate is rotted out all the way across. The studs are uneven and there is no uniformaty in the spacing of the studs they are all nailed together.

My questions are:
  • What is the best way to stop the moisture at the bottom to keep the plate from rotting out? (should I build a form and pour concrete or lay blocks)
  • Should I tear the whole wall up to the header out from the old carport and rebuild the wall?
I will be leveling the floor in the old carport up with the rest of the house. and creating two rooms out of this space using 2x6 with a span of six foot.
Please advise on how I need to proceed on this project!!!!

lonnie.seratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

Enclosed carport

You need to control the water someway. Regrading, drainage system, etc. Then deal with the structure. I'd build up the edge to raise the wood off the ground and use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote