Enclose A Large Arched Opening - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

enclose a large arched opening

Hey all - I have a room in the front of my house. The only entrance to it is a 8-foot wide opening with an arched top. It's all drywall, no trim. I'm converting this to an office/spare bedroom. Ideally, the plan is to have normal sized french doors with the little doormor windows above them for the entrance, so I've got to close off the rest.

I'm guessing the arch was probably created after framing. So if I rip out the arch - I'm hoping I just find a header up there level with the peak of the arch. Thus I can tear out the arch and be left with a square hole. Then just frame as needed for the door, drywall, tape, trim, paint, done.

Does this sound reasonable?

Secondly - anyone have any alternate ideas? Like leave the opening/arch, and build something within it with french doors? Purposefully different than drywall perhaps to give it all a unique look? Perhaps using beadboard and finished plywood?

Advertisement

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

enclose a large arched opening

Post a picture.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote