Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Electric vs Hot Water Baseboard Heat in an Attic

Hi! We're finishing our attic and are trying to decide between electric baseboard heat (which I understand is pretty efficient now) and paying an extra $800 to run a 3rd zone of hot water baseboard heat up there. We run off propane, which is almost $3/gallon, and the rest of the house is costing about $450 a month to heat this winter. Any thoughts on which is better (I do love the hot water baseboard, compared to the forced air I'm used to) efficiency wise? The attic will be 1/2 playroom for my daughter and 1/2 playroom for my husband. They're home together 3 days a a week, so it's going to get decent daytime use (very little overnight) probably 4-5 days a week.

Thanks for the input!

Lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Electric vs Hot Water Baseboard Heat in an Attic

How high are the electric rates? That would be the tipping factor. It's easier(less costly) to put in, but if it costs signficantly more to heat with it, the baseboard might be a better solution.
You need to do the math.
On Long Island it would be hot water baseboard heat.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote