Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2005, 06:21 AM   #1

Share |

Electric in garage

I am in the process of having a unattached garage built , the footing should go in next week. My question is what is the best way to put a conduit of some sort in the footing of floor so I can bring my electric and water in from underground . I prefer to have the power come up in the wall.
THANKS

kelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Electric in garage

This is done all the time both in slabs and footers, your concrete man can handle to pour and make sure the conduit remains clear they typically cover the ends with a plastic cap or duct tape. You need to have the conduit in place when they come in to set the forms, this is done by your electrician usualy as part of his rough-in. PVC is the material of choice to use, no chance of corrosion down the road. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Electric in garage

If you are doing this yourself, without an electrician, make sure you use electrical pvc conduit. Use a size larger then you think you will need.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
Contractor

Electric in garage

I am currently doing a similar project only with an existing slab. The entry will be through the wall. The service will be 220/60A to run a sprinkler pump and a pool pump. Water will be run there as well.
My electrician has recommended 1-1/4" conduit, I'm running 2". PVC is cheap, digging the ditch is expensive. I'm also running 3/4" water PVC, the demand is not there but it allows for system expansion.
Paint the top of the conduit orange just in case anyone hits it in the future. I also have a master survey that I have had blown up as big as Kinko's could make it. It shows all underground services as found by the location company plus what I am adding. I also show any cross piping discovered (sprinklers, low volt lighting). I do this for all customers and my personal properties. Makes for a nice future reference.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote