Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

EIFS over OLD brick/stucco?

I have a 100 year old commercial building. It is constructed of 3 brick wythes. On one side of the building, a previous owner put a layer of stucco directly over the brick. The stucco has somehow managed to stay, for the most part, attached to the brick. There are however some fairly substantial cracks in the stucco. I would like to improve the asthetics of the buiding by putting another layer of ________ over the top.

I'm sure the ideal would be to remove the existing layer of stucco. However, the removal process could potentially cause bigger problems with the underlying brick (100 year old, unreinforced).

I'm thinking foam board adhered (glue or screwed) to the existing stucco with EIFS type coating over the top. Does this seem like a good idea or would the cracks quickly telegraph through?

Maybe there is a far better solution. Any input would be appreciated. BTW we have cold winters and hot summers (Utah).

dcamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

most of the EIFS systems will telegraph(cracks) thru over time,usual warranty approx. average is 2 yr.s for this reason,I would probably opt to repair the existing stucco

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 564

You will have issues with that method. There are systems designed to do what you want, but they are not a low cost alternative. Ideally, you would solve the issues causing the stucco (actually, it is probably the brick substrate) to crack, then repair and apply a good elastomeric coating.

The main problem with using an EFIS system is the added thickness, and how to deal with that at the roof and penetrations (windows/doors).
Tscarborough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Fortunately the part of the building that is in questions has no windows or doors. If I apply an additional layer to the stucco it will not affect clearances etc...I don't however want to have to repair the new layer after only 2 years. If the cracks will reappear after only a couple of years then I will have to look for a new solution. Thanks again...
dcamail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #5

we have gone over old stucco with primus and mesh with an acrylic finish , then you dont have a base coat to thick .
mjrose69 is offline   Reply With Quote