Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |

egress window wall

I'm putting in 2 egress windows in my basement and want to build a small wall around it (3 X 2 feet). About 25% of the window is above ground, in the end I'll have to dig about 30 inches. My window cranks open outside. The window wells that I see in stores are a little expensive. I was searching in the internet and found this link - http://www.egresswindowguy.com/timber1.html. One of the picture shows landscape timber being used for the well walls. This would work excellent for me as I'm thinking it would end up cheaper for me. I have some questions - I'd appreciate answers for any of them.
1. Why is landscape timber cheaper ($3.97) compared to almost similar sized treated lumber ($25). I think both of them are treated isn't it?
2. What are the precautions and preparations I need to do so that the landscape timber doesn't rot in 2/3 years?
3. I'm planning to prime & paint the landscape timber before using it to build the mini wall. Would a normal wood paint/primer work?
Thank You for the time.
Joel

saturn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

egress window wall

Landscape timbers are cut from very small trees.--PULPWOOD--That's why they are cheap.

The wood is very fast to rot--No way to stop it. Big mistake to use them for holding back the earth in your window wells.

Use the steel corrugated window wells--You don't want to add another high maintenance item to your home.

---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

egress window wall

Use used rail road ties. not the prettiest looking, but no worries about rot for years.........

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark942 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-10-2010)