Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Egress Window Header?

I am going to replace an existing window with an egress casement window. The current window has no header which I think is odd. I'm trying to decide if I should replace the window with one of the same width and not put in a header, or replace it with a wider window and put in a header. If I need a header how big?

The window will be between 2' 6" wide and 3' wide. So it will have to support 2-3 headers. The house has 2 stories above this and the span of the floor joist is 16 feet with a 2x12. Attached is a picture of the current window.
Attached Images

ottoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Egress Window Header?

Someone here will have a good answer but I'm wondering why if the sill plate has been suitable (all this time) for the existing window why wouldn't it be suitable for a new egress unit?

Don't know that I have ever seen any kind of a "header" over that type of basement window. Mine doesn't have headers either.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Buying the first round

Egress Window Header?

I would install a 2x header the same size as the floor joists ( on top of the sill plate) and go ahead with the larger window.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

Egress Window Header?

What is the blocking in the joist bay over the right window side?

Does it run across the window with the joists on metal hangers?

Gary