DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

egress window

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
The existing basement window is too small by 55 sq inches. Would it be possible to remove the existing window, along with the 2x6 frame and install a window right to the concrete opening?

#3 ·
A true egress window is much larger than just removing the 2X6 frame from a 55 sq inch existing window.
I think he is saying he needs 55 MORE sqr inches. ...... Run the numbers on your 2x6 frame and see what you'll gain. If enough, go for it. If not, it is not all that hard to tear out concrete or block. That is not necessarily a fun DIY job, but it can be done and you can likely hire a concrete cutter for a quick job like that (easy for ME to say "quick", as I've never done it! Sounds quick, though.) j

#4 ·
Go on line (or stop by city hall)--Egress windows need to be a set distance from the floor--
Also must be a quick removal window--

Also.window well size must be large enough to climb into and get out--That size will be in the code book also--

If digging a new window well and enlarging the opening is required you can do it your self--or hire out the concrete cutting part and set the window and add the well your self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.