Easy LVL/joist Hanger Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

easy LVL/joist hanger question

Well, easy for you guys.

I need to install a doubled up 2x8 LVL header above a basement window, and then some joist hangers on the face. The header will sit parallel to the rim joist and on top of the treated sill plate.

Should I build the doubled up LVL beam first and then from the outside of the rim joist nail to the header (and possibly toenail it into the sill/mud plate) or should I nail the first LVL to the rim joist and then nail the 2nd LVL to that?

I guess we're not talking end of the world here since the joist will keep everything pretty well sandwiched together, but I'd like to do it in the best way.

Advertisement

DIY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

it will be easier to put them in one at a time most likely... be sure to get plenty of bearing on top of the sill plates either side of the window and prepare to deal with nails in the way that stick down through the sub floor

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

It's a home addition so there won't be any subfloor on yet. I figured I'd go for at least 6 inches of bearing on each side of the window.

Is it taboo to nail into the doubled-up header from the outside of the rim joist?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY1
Well, easy for you guys.

I need to install a doubled up 2x8 LVL header above a basement window, and then some joist hangers on the face. The header will sit parallel to the rim joist and on top of the treated sill plate.

Should I build the doubled up LVL beam first and then from the outside of the rim joist nail to the header (and possibly toenail it into the sill/mud plate) or should I nail the first LVL to the rim joist and then nail the 2nd LVL to that?

I guess we're not talking end of the world here since the joist will keep everything pretty well sandwiched together, but I'd like to do it in the best way.
Why a rim board and double lvls for a header? How wide is the opening?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

It's only in the ballpark of 4' wide. I'm just following the architect's orders.

I am, however, only using 1 3/4" LVL's and not the 1 7/8" LVL's that the architect spec'd.

Tags
header , joist