Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

eagle project

I am 17 years old and im working on my eagle project. I am building a new sitting area for the soilders home. my questions are how thick dose the slab have to be and what kind of wood should I use for the posts and roof?

Aka ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

eagle project

Sounds like a worthwhile project for sure. We really need some more details about the project in order to give you an idea of what is best. Assuming it is an exterior slab? What state? Are the posts and roof going to be exposed to the weather or concealed with siding and trim?

The more description you provide the more helpful we can be.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #3

eagle project

the slab is going to be 21' by 14'. the state is washington and the slab will be exterior and the wood will be exposed to the elements.

Last edited by Aka ryu; 11-04-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #4

eagle project

The slab should be no less than 4" thick, and should be placed on 4" of gravel.

As for posts, treated (ACQ) lumber is probably the most economical option. Cedar is pricier, but nicer looking.

Check with your local building official to determine the requirements enforced in the jurisdiction the project is located in.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
MetalArchitect

eagle project

Congrats on getting to this point in your Boy Scout path. I am a fellow Eagle scout. its an accomplishment to be proud of.

As far as your project the slab should be at least 4" thick at least 4" of crushed stone below, and you'll want to put at least 3-4 control joints, ensure that the slab is sloped at 1/8" per foot away from any structure, and i would suggest not sinking the wood posts directly into the slab but use a wet set anchor to keep the wood off the conc. Let us know how it turns out!
Rkeytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

eagle project

ok next problem dose anyone know the price of concrete per cubic foot or squar foot i paln on laying it myself
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #7

eagle project

Aka, Have you gone around to the local lumber yards, cement companies seeing if they are interested in donating some materials? Throw in the fact that in your presentation they will be given credit for the donation. Just a shot in the dark. I know if I owned a ready mix company and you walked through my door, the only questions I would ask is how much and when.

Congratulations for sticking with it long enough to become a eagle.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #8

eagle project

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Aka, Have you gone around to the local lumber yards, cement companies seeing if they are interested in donating some materials? Throw in the fact that in your presentation they will be given credit for the donation.

Congratulations for sticking with it long enough to become a eagle.
Aka, I agree with retro, contact your local lumber yards or chamber of commerce with a written plan of what you want to do. You will need to contact the building inspector anyway, they may know a few contractors who could help.

Concrete is sold in yardsł. Take your dimensions and figure your volume. It will take a couple of capable people to pour this slab and to get it look right.

Prices vary across the country, but here, it will cost 110.00 per plus delivery. Don't forget, you will need the stone for your base and the wire mesh. To get the number of tons figure the volume of the base, in ydsł and multiply by 1.5. Stone is cheap, the trucking will be more.

Your project is extremely admirable and ambitious. Do your research, ask for assistance (when and where needed) and give the soldiers a sitting area that you are proud of.

Best of success with your project.
Mike
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #9

eagle project

Definately call a concrete company...Doing it with bags of concrete will be tougher, more expensive, and of lesser quality.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #10

eagle project

You'll need almost 4 yards of concrete to pour 21'x14'x4" thick. Figure $120'ish per yard depending on a few factors. Don't forget lumber for forms, reinforcement, and gravel. You'll also need to rent a bull float and a few smaller finishing tools.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Building A House

eagle project

This is a great project. You may be able to find a local concrete guy that'll be willing to help you with your project.

Ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote