Dust-Proof Basement Shop? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dust-Proof Basement Shop?

I'm trying to design/build a basement woodworking shop. I plan to use an airfilter and dust collector, however, I was wondering if anyone had tips on dust-proofing the room. My furnace and water heater are right in the corner of the future shop area so one challenge is to protect them from dust, while still providing access. The other challenge is just keeping sawdust from escaping near the two shop entry doors that will lead to the laundry room and storage room.

The only idea I have is to use lots of weather stripping, drywall, and floor mats.

Advertisement

EricCJacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

With the right filtration system, dust shouldn't be such a big issue. They make systems that allow for ducted connection right ot each piece of equipment. You can also have a gooseneck duct for any hand held equipment use on a workbench. If you utilize the system, then the "extra" dust that might escape would be minimal and can be cleaned with a simple sweeping (which should be a regular occurence for a shop anyways).

Advertisement

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

hmmm. You sure? I've read lots of horror stories from people that have dust collectors and air filters. They claim a dust proof room is important and difficult to achieve.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'm no expert, but in all my years of shop at school, there was never excessive dust problems and the machines ran 6+ hours a day. That shop, of course, had the ducted connections I spoke about.

I wouldn't recommend having the shop share a space with senstive things, but a gasketed, air tight space isn't necessary if you have the proper dust collection system. Simple partitions and/or doors should do the trick.

If you're not getting a system, then I would seal the room up good and tight, have a good exhaust fan going to the exterior for the room, and invest in a great mask...
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Well, like I said, I will be getting a "system", so hopefully you're right. Thanks for the replies!