Durarock Or Denshield For Shower? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
better at cars

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Durarock or Denshield for shower?

Ok, I'm a first time tile guy and really need some advice on this. I've been told by some contractors to use durarock in a shower I'm tiling but have also been told that I should use denshield because it is a better product. Can someone please clarify this for me? I want the job to turn out right the first time and I really don't want to worry about cracks/water damage in the future. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

efisixpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

DensShield is an acrylic-coated glass-mat faced treated gypsum board. Durock is a fiberglass mesh reinforced cementitious backer board. One is essentially waterproofed gypsum, the other is essentially concrete. You can't do better than concrete in a wet area. Some installers prefer gypsum products because they are easier to install and will last long enough to satisfy everyone except those who plan to keep a house for a lifetime.

Seal the joints and use dry-set (unmodified) or latex-portland-cement mortar (thin-set)

Here is Durock:
http://www.usg.com:80/navigate.do?re...ment_Board.htm

Here are some of the Tile Council of America's details:
http://www.bedrosians.com/tca4.htm

You can buy the Tile Council of America's Handbook For Ceramic Tile Installation 2004-2005 at:
http://bnibooks.com/merchant.mvc?Scr...ategory_Code=N

Thin-set mortars:
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en
http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

I like to use American Olean's 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 matte white ceramic tile in a running bond pattern (staggered like bricks) because it is cheap, easy to maintain and beautiful.. Add accents if you like but keep the tile simple in a shower.

Advertisement

Last edited by mighty anvil; 10-11-2005 at 09:25 AM.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
aka:awesomedell

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to housedocs

Great response MA,
Quote:
Some installers prefer gypsum products because they are easier to install and will last long enough to satisfy everyone except those who plan to keep a house for a lifetime.
That's my favorite part though. :D

I totally agree, go with the durock and a nice simple pattern. Use a good modified thinset and you'll have a beautiful shower that will last a lifetime.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
better at cars

Thumbs up

Wow! Thanks a lot for putting the time in to respond with such detail. I do plan to live there a long time and truely only want to do this once. It looks like I'll be picking up some durarock this week. Again, thans for the time and help.
efisixpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #5

I am just wrapping up tiling a shower. I used Hardiboard (from Lowe's or Home depot) underneath a white semi-gloss finish running bond with green glass accents. The hardiboard went up pretty easily, I recommend using a skillsaw to cut it though, as the scoring tools available broke after a short time. Cutting it gets REALLY dusty though, so do it outside. Other than that it went pretty smoothly. I think the semi-gloss tile will be easier to clean and reflects more light than the matte finish, but that's probably just personal preference. Good Luck!
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #6

Hardiboard is a wood fiber and cement composite that works fine in a shower but it cannot be used in a steam shower where pure cement boards like Durock or the original Wonderboard must be used.

The matte tile I am describing is not flat, it just isn't as reflective as gloss. I believe some manufacturers might call it semi-gloss,
Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #7
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

"Cutting it gets REALLY dusty though,"
Yes it does, and you should protect yourself from it. Cement dust is NOT good for your lungs, wear a mask, preferably more than just a paper dust mask, one of the rubber face masks with the replaceable cartridges for dust.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #8

I have had great luck with Hardiboard. I have never put up steam shower, but I have use it in tub surrounds and Have use the other Hardie products for exterior trim, fascias and other appropriate places. It keeps squirrels out too.
I think it they are all great products and have been using them for years.
kesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #9

Hardie products will probably last for as many years as you need them to but when an installation like a shower calls for a cement based product and it is only a small quantity of material, with only a few cuts, why use a product that mixes wood fiber with the cement? There's certainly no advantage to it. And why mess with the dust?
Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 526

I'm going to ask mike finley what he likes...LOL:D
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #11

should stainless steel screws be used with durarock, in shower installation, or just regular drywall screws? Thank you
mindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #12

You should use hot dipped roofing nails or corrosion resistant screws recommended or provided by the manufacturer of the board. Regular drywall screws are not acceptable.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
dbs

I was told by my tile installer that he preferred the Denshield because it doesn't leak like the Durarock. The water that can leak, he said, has actually damaged the framing.

I'm re-doing a standard shower, no steam. I had 'green board' in this shower that lasted about 10-15 years. I may not out live the Denshield but I want to do it right. Sounds like Durarock/Wonder board is the way to go.

Any thoughts on the floor? I pulled tile off the plywood subfloor and as told I should put a subfloor layer over the original before re-installing tile. It was suggested to get a 1/4" exterior glued plywood. Any suggestions?
dbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #14

This may be a silly question but here it goes:

When using Durarock do I need to tape off the seams? If I have to tape off the seams do I need to use a joint compound, and if so what type?

I was told by a guy at Home Depot to use the same Thinset I'll be using on the tile.

TIA for any help!
DJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #15

I tiled my shower a few months ago. I taped the seams with mesh tape, then just added a little extra thinset over the seams to fill them. No joint compound necessary.

Advertisement

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote