Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Share |

ductwork through floor joists.

As part of finishing my basement I want to improve the head room. Is it safe to try and pass the HVAC ductwork through the bssement ceiling/ first level floor joists? If yes, what is the proper way?

elpapi72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

By not cutting into the floor joists.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

would like to do the same in our exercise room however i do NOT want my kitchen to fall down no, it ain't safe NOR is it allowed by code

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpapi72 View Post
As part of finishing my basement I want to improve the head room. Is it safe to try and pass the HVAC ductwork through the bssement ceiling/ first level floor joists? If yes, what is the proper way?
If they are 2x material...you can't do that, Period!!! If they are I-joists you can.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #5

Thanks all for the responses. I have two "dumb" beginner questions.
1) how can you tell a floor joist from a floor truss and what is the difference?
2) what is an I-joist and what does it look like.

Details are good :-)

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpapi72 View Post
Thanks all for the responses. I have two "dumb" beginner questions.
1) how can you tell a floor joist from a floor truss and what is the difference?
2) what is an I-joist and what does it look like.

Details are good :-)

Thanks!
Pic 1 are standard floor joist. Pic 2 are the I joist.
Attached Thumbnails
ductwork through floor joists.-joist.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

If there is enough room up in the joist bays, yes you could run the duct work up there. the problem lies, when you come across where electrical and water piping is, then you may not have enough room.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

So, from the photos (thanks) it would seem I have I-joists. My next question would then be..per Joe C. Reply what is N "safe or best practices" when running HVAC ductwork thru I-joists? Is there a metal/alloy frame I should place into the cut hole to support it with, etc.)

Thank you gents.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Depends on where the vents are located on the floor above. You would normally run the parallel between the beams or joists, and the trunk would stay as close to the middle of the house. Keep in mind, due to you are wanting to relocate the duct work, you have to take into account, that you could end up changing the design of the system overall, and may or may not cause problems with air flow.

How are the ducts running now? Post a picture showing. When you do take the picture, stand back and take an overall shot of the area, not a close up.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #10

Here are dome photos of the situation. As you can see the duct runs perpendicular and below the joist (with one or two trusses thrown in) . I would like to continue them in the same direction ( because those areas they go to will still need HVAC) but raise them and go through the joists( in a narrower duct if need be). Is this advisable? What is the proper safe way to accomplish this?

Actually app keeps crashing when i attach photos. I will log in via my laptop soon and upload that way.
Attached Thumbnails
ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_191901.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_192934.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_194307.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_203027.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_203113.jpg  

ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_203153.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_203249.jpg   ductwork through floor joists.-forumrunner_20110902_203500.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

You are fine to leave it as is. You will just have to box in the trunk area. Where the clean out plug is, you should put in an access panel, so it is easy to get to, without having to cut into the gypsum later on. As for that huge bundle of Romex, that does need to be cleaned up, so it is not just hanging there. The one thing that I would do, if you are planing to put in the basement a movie or rumpus room, is maybe use Roxwool between the bays, to help deaden the noise, along with using 2" Blue poly caulked in place around perimeter of the foundation, at the joists, or use Tiger Foam to help seal, if you are planning to completely finish the space.