Drywalling For A "no Baseboards" Finish - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywalling for a "no baseboards" finish

Typically, I see that it is recommended to hang drywall starting with the top course. In my application, however, there is NO baseboard, and the finished drywall butts the floor, which essentially removes the margin for error afforded with typical drywall hanging.

So in this case, is it acceptable to start with the bottom course, butted to the floor, leaving either the top course or a middle course to be finished last? (If it matters the new partition is 8'11" tall so I guess I could hang 12 foot sheets vertically)

Advertisement

VistaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Is the flooring down yet? The only thing about starting at the floor is that you'll have to cut the taper off of the sheet before you start stacking them. We did a job like this once where the architect specified no baseboard(Big PIA). We started at the top and just used vinyl stop bead where the drywall met the floor(polished concrete). The cuts have to be very accurate. How is the existing drywall finished where it meets the floor?

Advertisement

Last edited by jerryh3; 02-03-2008 at 03:47 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Is the flooring down yet? The only thing about starting at the floor is that you'll have to cut the taper off of the sheet before you start stacking them. We did a job like this once where the architect specified no baseboard(Big PIA). We started at the top and just used vinyl stop bead where the drywall met the floor(polished concrete). The cuts have to be very accurate. How is the existing drywall finished where it meets the floor?
The flooring is what it is.

I have integrated color concrete floors. The rest of the house is simply drywalled to as close to the floor as possible - basically butted right against. I don't think there is anything between floor and drywall actually - at least I can not see it and I do not recall anything there when we built the house.

I am thinking I should use 12 foot drywall and install vertically.

I also had another thread about installing the new drywall next to exisitng corner round.
VistaV is offline   Reply With Quote