Drywall Trowels - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall trowels

Im working with drywall mud and finishing a job someone started. The person showed me the ropes and a few tricks. I got all my equipment but cant seem to find larger trowels that are 14" or more. The only trowls i can find is cement trowels and was wondering if these are the same thing? They look the same exact as the drywall ones.

Advertisement

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall trowels

You need to locate a Drywall Supply House. They carry a large selection of plastering trowels.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Drywall trowels

Drywall trowells have a very slight concave curve in the blade. Concrete finishing trowells do not.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall trowels

Thanks for the reply guys. I went to Rona and they have a 16" trowel for both, they look the exact same thing! I compared them and put them against a flat surface and none have a curve in them. The only difference is one is $16 and the other $45
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #5

Drywall trowels

You shouldn't need anything wider than 14", or your methods are flawed. I think my widest knife is 12", and yes, it has a very slight curve (about 1/16" or less overall) on it.

You definately want the curve when building butt seams. You can't do a professional job with concrete-type tools.

When doing a butt seam, you should build two mounds with your curved trowel...Each slightly offset to each side of the seam. Once they're dry, you come back and fill in the seam, which is in the valley between the two mounds. This just can't be done with a straight blade. Overall, you'll probably have drywall mud spread to a certain degree over about a 20" width or so.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Drywall trowels

FWIW: We use 12" Knives, as well, to finish drywall. I have seen some guys who like to use a 14" trowell to finish, but it's essentially, just 2 different methods to achieve the same thing...

Advertisement