Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall tape, paper/mesh?

What is the main difference and when do you use one or the other? i have done some searching and read different opinions on them. I need to finish my basement and would like to know which one to use where. Thanks for any advice on this.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Using regular compound (ready-mix) out of a bucket = Paper Tape on seams, paper tape in corners.

Using "Hot Mud" (Eazy-sand) Quick Dry mix = You can use mesh or paper tape in seams, only use paper tape on corners.

If you use mesh tape with ready mix = it will crack.

If we have a quick job to do: We will use quick dry (hot mud) on the first 2 coats and finish with ready-mix.

If you are a newbi/DIYer - I strongly suggest that you use ready-mix and obviously paper tape for everything.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

ponch--

I hate to say it but you may have opened a whole can of worms here. From previous threads there is a wide range of opinions on what type of tape to use, where to use it, when to use it, what type of mud to use with it......blah blah blah.

Take it for what it is worth. I just finished my basement and used regular paper tape with two coats green mud, one final coat purple mud, sand , prime, paint, looks great!
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY4EVER View Post
... I hate to say it but you may have opened a whole can of worms here. From previous threads there is a wide range of opinions on what type of tape to use, where to use it, when to use it, what type of mud to use with it......blah blah blah...
I know what you mean. Funny thing is many of those "opinions" often revolve around the expressions of people that have done a few DIY projects, or what others have told them.

FWIW: The advice I listed is based on this: We have been doing General Construction, and also professionally doing drywall now for 25 years. So what I posted is based on fact and experience, rather than opinion.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #5

Atlantic--

If there is one thing I have learned since joining this post is who are the reputable members and who are the weekend warriors who may not totaly know what they are talking about. Heck, I am one of them.

I just find it ammusing sometimes at how people here disagree on certain things or think that their way is the only way. There is usually more than one way to skin a cat. some are better than others and those are the ways you should follow as a DIYer.

Personally I am very thankful for the reputable contractors like yourself who take the time out of their busy day to help the DIYers like myself.

Cheers!
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #6

I have heard that if you are repairing an old wall, plaster and lath or similar method that repairs and/or areas you are butting up new drywall, mesh tape and a hard product like Durabond should be used? Any truth to this? (my house was built in the late 40's which is why I wondered)
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Thank you for sharing your experience atlantic. Like mentioned guys like you that take time out of your day to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarfield View Post
I have heard that if you are repairing an old wall, plaster and lath or similar method that repairs and/or areas you are butting up new drywall, mesh tape and a hard product like Durabond should be used? Any truth to this? (my house was built in the late 40's which is why I wondered)
Yes, that is the method to use.

1.) Remove the areas of loose plaster, down to the wood lathing.
2.) Install Sheetrock into the area. Usually, you will have to install more than one layer of sheetrock. Sometimes it's 2 layers of 3/8", or one layer of 1/2" + 1 layer of 3/8"...or whatever (in order to build the patches out to match the thickness of the removed material).
3.) Apply mesh to "seams".
4.) Apply quick dry compound (hot mud) = 2 coats.
5.) Finish coat with readymix (for a smoother final coating).
6.) Sand, prime, paint.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience atlantic. Like mentioned guys like you that take time out of your day to share your knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks

......see, I'm not the only one that thinks you're great!
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

previous reply for Atlantic.....forgot to put your name there Atlantic.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote