Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Drywall Tape Bubbling Fix?

Hello.

I recently installed a new drywall patch in my living room 4'x8'. When installed the tap I had plenty of mud ect. Next day I did a light sand and use a vacuum on the wall to pick up the dust (BAD DISSUASION).

I have a couple of spots about 4" long that have bubbled up and I have added more coats over top which didn't help. Duh..

Anyways how should I fix this? Should I try and the tape down the center at these points and remove the bubbled tap and re-apply new stuff? Or just wet it down and slit a hole in the tape, pat and smooth out and re-apply compound? Or is there something else I could do to fix this dumb mistake?

Matt

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Chances are that you did not have sufficient compound "under" the paper tape. The compound acts like glue. If you have areas of tape, that do not have the "glue" (compound) under it, it will not adhere. Those areas will rise and create a visible "bubbles".

If there are significant amounts of bubbling, you may have to remove the tape and start over again.

Just make sure of this:

1.) Apply sufficient compound to create a solid thickness and length of compound to "bed" or set the paper tape into.

2.) Do Not overwipe the paper tape. You want to smooth it out. If you wipe and squeeze out too much compound, you will create air pockets under the tape. These areas, in turn, will then bubble up (due to the compound being squeezed out from under it).

Good Luck.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
Cindygiles (01-13-2012)
Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Everything Atlantic says is correct. But now that you have them, the best way I know to fix bubbles is to slice the edge open with a utility knife and work some mud under them and recoat. That will save having to pull the tape completely off and start over.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Everything Atlantic says is correct. But now that you have them, the best way I know to fix bubbles is to slice the edge open with a utility knife and work some mud under them and recoat. That will save having to pull the tape completely off and start over.
MAN!!!!- M6 - You're going to give away all the trade "secrets" on this site!..

Other alternatives:

If is just a few bubbles on recently applied paper-tape: You can slice the center of the bubble and push compound into it, wipe and coat.

You can "cut-out" that section of bubbled tape; Cut and remove, replace section with new tape, being careful to over lap the intact sections, by about 1".
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #5

I will try and slice them open and fix them tonight.

Thank you.

Matt
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

i use mesh, for all repair work, so i dont usually have any problems with any bubbles
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #7

I've had some patches that just don't ever seem to level down to my satisfaction, and found that removing the tape worked well in some instances. IF you have to remove the tape, using a sponge or spray bottle, wet the taped area. When it's uniformly wet the tape and mud changes color. Assuming it's general purpose drywall compound, it'll soak up the water and once you get to an edge, you can gently lift the paper off the DW. No scraping or cutting needed. Lay in a new layer of mud, feather out and you're on your way.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #8

Had that happen early in my mudding days....cutting it out is best.
For future note: I hate mesh tape someone mentioned......
As others said, always have have a good skim coat "bed" to set the tape into.
For rookies I always recommend taking thier time - don't try to finish a DW taping job, especially a patch up too quick. Multiple skimming coats will turn out better than a couple thick ones and a lot of sanding.

I always ask my "honey do" (wife)...."You want it done fast or you want it done rght?"
jbhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #9

2 cents: Mesh should really only be used with Hot Mud, or quick dry mix.
We NEVER use it with regular compound due to the tendency of cracking.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhandyman View Post
Had that happen early in my mudding days....cutting it out is best.
For future note: I hate mesh tape someone mentioned......
As others said, always have have a good skim coat "bed" to set the tape into.
For rookies I always recommend taking thier time - don't try to finish a DW taping job, especially a patch up too quick. Multiple skimming coats will turn out better than a couple thick ones and a lot of sanding.

I always ask my "honey do" (wife)...."You want it done fast or you want it done rght?"
She wants it done fast and right.......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #11

Ditto on the mesh tape. I never use it. It baffles me that Mike Holmes loves it.
murray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
2 cents: Mesh should really only be used with Hot Mud, or quick dry mix.
We NEVER use it with regular compound due to the tendency of cracking.
From personal experience, I have to thoroughly agree with AtlanticWBConst. I heard the words "quick" and "self-adhesive" and jumped at the chance. Learned the hard way that the cracking is for real and un-fixable without starting all over.
DaveG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG4 View Post
From personal experience, I have to thoroughly agree with AtlanticWBConst. I heard the words "quick" and "self-adhesive" and jumped at the chance. Learned the hard way that the cracking is for real and un-fixable without starting all over.
Did you use regular joint compound? As was stated, mesh tape and setting-type joint compound work well together. Mesh tape and regular joint compound do NOT; cracking will likely occur. Setting-type compound is almost a necessity for small jobs where you need quick drying (difference can be as big as 20-90 minutes vs 24 hours); it is NOT intended for large scale jobs.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #14

My paper tape is bubbling up almost immediately after I put the top coat on. I've tried using more mud in my skim coat and not overworking the tape but I'm still getting bubbles. Could it be happening in my seams aren't flush?
Cindygiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #15

Cindy you need to go back and add your own post not add on to someone elses.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote