Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Share |
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Hello. I have a attached aircraft hangar to my house. It was an engineered trussed 2x4 rafter system, 24" on center. The area is 43'x 37'. Being an aircraft hanger, there is no support coming down to the floor. With this said, I now want to put up a ceiling and insulate. A sheet metal ceiling would be $1500 and light weight. A 5/8 thick drywall ceiling would be around $330 and heavy. At savings money, how would I know if the engineered ceiling could support the drywall and insulation? I have no idea who engineered the ceiling, so I can not ask them. I would imagine/assume it was taken into consideration, that some type of ceiling would be installed, but I'm not about to put up all this drywall, to have something fail. Please advise and thank you....DM

drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,646
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


the lightweight drywall available now is 25-30% lighter then regular drywall.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,597
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Post a picture.
Most engineered trusses are made to have a clear span and should be fine.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Contact the manufacturer of the engineered trusses and inquire with them on their recommendations.

Example: There may be some allowable expansion and deflection of the truss system, that could cause attached drywall to crack.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-21-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
the lightweight drywall available now is 25-30% lighter then regular drywall.
I asked Menards about this, and they don't carry light weight in 5/8 only 1/2".
4x12' 5/8's is just over 100 lbs. I can not imagine hanging 3000 lbs of drywall from the ceiling...no way. (i junderstand it's spread over the span, but still) It does have to be 5/8 thick, per my county code. I am interested in a lighter weight 5/8 drywall but appears now i just gotta find it. No on menards. DM

Last edited by drmax; 09-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


found lightweight 4x8x5/8's at HD. 7.73 a sheet. thx for the heads up!
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Seems I'm having a problem finding the lightweight stuff, so I'll mount the regular stuff. My joists are 24". I'm getting mixed reviews of the screw spacing....anywhere from 12", to 12" and then double screw. Please, give me the skinny on this. I'm pretty sure the length is 1 1/4". Thank you. DM
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southeastern US
Posts: 222
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Why not acoustic ceiling system?
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
Why not acoustic ceiling system?
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,562
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax View Post
Seems I'm having a problem finding the lightweight stuff, so I'll mount the regular stuff. My joists are 24". I'm getting mixed reviews of the screw spacing....anywhere from 12", to 12" and then double screw. Please, give me the skinny on this. I'm pretty sure the length is 1 1/4". Thank you. DM
for wood application 1 1/2" screws might work better then 1 1/4" for the 5/8 drywall. For 5/8" ceiling drywall screw placement, 4 to 6 inch spacing at the drywall butt seams and 8 to 12 inch spacing in the field.

consider lateral bracing if needed or added blocks at the drywall seams.It is better to do it and anything else needed before covering with drywall...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
for wood application 1 1/2" screws might work better then 1 1/4" for the 5/8 drywall. For 5/8" ceiling drywall screw placement, 4 to 6 inch spacing at the drywall butt seams and 8 to 12 inch spacing in the field.

consider lateral bracing if needed or added blocks at the drywall seams.It is better to do it and anything else needed before covering with drywall...
Would you do adhesive on the joist faces? Also, I've read where you're to keep the screws off the edge of the butt end. This does not make sense to me, since the butt end of the sheet of drywall, should end up on 1/2 of the 2x4 joist, and will need fastening. I suppose i'll figure all this out when i get started. I bought 12 2x4x6's for making pieces as I go. I was hoping I didn't need to add anything else between the joists, to further reduce the insulations "lay down" ability.
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,562
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax View Post
Would you do adhesive on the joist faces? Also, I've read where you're to keep the screws off the edge of the butt end. This does not make sense to me, since the butt end of the sheet of drywall, should end up on 1/2 of the 2x4 joist, and will need fastening. I suppose i'll figure all this out when i get started. I bought 12 2x4x6's for making pieces as I go. I was hoping I didn't need to add anything else between the joists, to further reduce the insulations "lay down" ability.
I've always angled the screws some at the butt seams so the screw head is further onto the piece but also having a solid grab into the framing member, another good reason to use the 1 1/2". If you grab a hold of the trusses and shake them do they move around any? That is the reason I mention bracing, the roof part of the truss is braced by roofing application so the bottom cords of the trusses could be free to move around. It will help if they are as stable as possible for drywall application. What size insulation are you using?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

drywall or sheetmetal ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
I've always angled the screws some at the butt seams so the screw head is further onto the piece but also having a solid grab into the framing member, another good reason to use the 1 1/2". If you grab a hold of the trusses and shake them do they move around any? That is the reason I mention bracing, the roof part of the truss is braced by roofing application so the bottom cords of the trusses could be free to move around. It will help if they are as stable as possible for drywall application. What size insulation are you using?
r-13 rolls....24" wide. that will get it to the top of rafter, then either roll out r-19 on top of that, or possibly blow. I was considering you PL-100 adhesive for extra strength, but there's nearly $200 worth of that stuff.
I have not tried to shake the trusses. I will try that and can put in some bracing if needed.

drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another method of hanging ceiling drywall? shtoink Drywall & Plaster 22 09-21-2012 09:50 AM
Installing Drywall Ceiling daytrepper Drywall & Plaster 10 02-10-2011 12:52 AM
Drywall over existing ceiling? billybarty Carpentry 1 03-07-2008 11:05 PM
Replacing 12" ceiling tile with drywall housefixin Remodeling 5 09-09-2007 03:00 PM
Drywall thickness on ceiling question. Doug Crf Building & Construction 3 08-28-2006 05:47 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.