Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Drywall seam separation

Atlantic & Slick, hope ya'll will see this question. I'm starting on the hallway for the next project. At one of the seams of the drywall [by the way, are sheetrock and drywall the same thing?] the tape is lifting off along with the ceiling texture. It almost doesn't look like there was any mudding done because the tape is lifting off so cleanly, and the surface of the drywall beneath the tape is pristine.

[Recall I was bemoaning the shortcuts that the contractors took with this house when I was renovating Hubby's bathroom.]

Any way ya'll could walk me through this fix, step by step? Please don't make any assumptions regarding my expertise,,,talk to me like I'm a 1st grader if you like.

Val

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall seam separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
Atlantic & Slick, hope ya'll will see this question. I'm starting on the hallway for the next project. At one of the seams of the drywall [by the way, are sheetrock and drywall the same thing?] the tape is lifting off along with the ceiling texture. It almost doesn't look like there was any mudding done because the tape is lifting off so cleanly, and the surface of the drywall beneath the tape is pristine.

[Recall I was bemoaning the shortcuts that the contractors took with this house when I was renovating Hubby's bathroom.]

Any way ya'll could walk me through this fix, step by step? Please don't make any assumptions regarding my expertise,,,talk to me like I'm a 1st grader if you like.

Val
Remove the tape...by peeling and cutting with a utility knife. Remove any areas that are peeling. Scrape any loose areas of compound that my be flaking after you peel. Re-coat with new tape using the standard procedure for applying tape. Apply compound skim coating as normal (Like newdrywall)...Sand and paint...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Drywall seam separation

Thanks Atlantic. I'll surf and see if I can find a video of how to apply the tape and mud.
shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall seam separation

I found a site that shows you videos of how to do drywall.

www.drywallschool.com

Hope this helps.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote