Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drywall repair

Hello,

I am new to the forum, I am in Canada and 2 years ago I bought a brand new home. The laws in Canada stipulate that the home has a 5 year warranty however after the 1st year good luck getting anything repaired other than major structural issues. The contractor had used a low quality caulking on my stand up shower and as a result water was leaking and caused the mildew on my drywall. I have tiled walls in my stand up shower. I contacted the contractor the 1st year and they came and redid the caulking and sort of patched the drywall. It looked fine at first but recently I started noticing the mildew again. I contacted the contractor yesterday and this is their reply:

"The pictures you send me was for your bathroom wich is no longer on my maintenance service. You have to check your silicone or caulking to make sure there is no water coming out of your shower""

And basically they do not want to repair it. I am not sure what legal right I have against them but that's another issue. My questions is I want to repair this but I don't know what is the best method to do so. I am fairly good handy man but since the drywall is right next to the tiles I am not sure how to repair this. On side of the drywall back is a closet which I can cut a hole and access the rotted drywall, but the other side is a little tricky.

Please see attached pictures and let me know if you need more information.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall repair-img00028-20101122-0726.jpg   Drywall repair-img00029-20101122-0726.jpg  

Transmico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #2

Drywall repair

Call the legal beagles in, as I think you are in for some real work. I do not see how you can repair any of this from the outside. The mold has to be treated, and any affected sheet rock replaced, then properly water sealed. good luck w/ the "cops". j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #3

Drywall repair

Thank you for your reply, that's what I figured I had to pursue.

Transmico.
Transmico is offline   Reply With Quote