Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Drywall on rafters in uninsulated "side attic"

Background:We just moved into a new house. The house is two stories with a steeply pitched roof and dormers (cape cod style?). The bedrooms on the second floor have full sized doors which lead to "side attics". The side attics are unconditioned with vented sofitts and exposed rafter bays that continue un-interrupted into actual attic which has a ridge vent. The walls between the side attic and the rooms are insulated with fiberglass bats.

Problem: Passing cars are very loud in the rooms. I went in the side attic and it appears as though the sound is coming through the vented soffit (and possibly the rood itself. I'd like to try to deaden this sound by installing some sound of sound deadening sheathing on the rafters (just in side attic, not the actual attic). There would still be an uninterupted air flow under the roof deck so I think this idea is ok as far as roof deck venting is concerned. Some internet research I've done is leading me to drywall for both cost and effectiveness. My question is whether or not drywall will hold up to the elements (hot, cold etc) that it will be subjected to under the roof deck. Thanks for your help
bpeters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

You could run baffles clear to the ridge, plastic-not foam: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-roof-venting

Drywall in an unheated area requires exterior gypsum board or soffit board, due to the moisture there.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3

Don't know where you are, but are these doors rather expensive, in that they are letting gobs of btu's out (through and around them), besides moisture into the unconditioned space? Have you been through a whole winter there? For noise, is the door sealed well? Is it a heavy door (good for damping noise).
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check into the baffling for the rafters. GBR, the article you referenced suggested using polyiso foam as one option, is there a reason you suggest otherwise? Any idea why all the baffle options listed in the article are implemented "inside" the rafter bay. Why not just glue polyiso board to the underside of the rafters to create a channel for airflow? Is exterior drywall the same thing as "greenboard" (moisture resistant drywall) used in bathrooms etc?

As far as the access doors....they are just standard hollow core interior doors (circa 1940). I'm thinking about attaching a piece of gypsum (sound deadening) and foam board (insulation) to the back of the door and sealing it well with weatherstripping. Upon further thought, I think it may be better to put drywall on the attic side of the kneewalls (over some new fiberglass insulation)..
bpeters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters2 View Post
(over some new fiberglass insulation)..
get something better if you can. roxul, cotton, wool, etc.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

" GBR, the article you referenced suggested using polyiso foam as one option, is there a reason you suggest otherwise? Any idea why all the baffle options listed in the article are implemented "inside" the rafter bay. Why not just glue polyiso board to the underside of the rafters to create a channel for airflow? Is exterior drywall the same thing as "greenboard" (moisture resistant drywall) used in bathrooms etc?"--------- you could install f.b. to the rafter bottoms, after air sealing the attic first. This is of primary importance. Positive fastening is required. Check locally with your building department, you may need to cover the foamboard with an approved ignition barrier. i would not use greenboard, research gyprock or U.S.Gypsums soffit board or exterior gypboard.

Gary

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote