Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Drywall Question/Issue

Looking for a little insight as to what may be causing my problem. We have a covered outdoor deck, opened on three sides.

The ceiling is cathedral, going from 9’ to 20’. The roof above is insulated and has a ridge and soffit vent. The ceiling is covered with greenboard. How do I know you may ask?

The paint has peeled from the board in sheets. I can see the surface of the board. I have scraped some of the peeling paint from the ceiling with little effort but the really strange thing was I was able to remove the taping with no problem too. I have put primer on the areas that I have scraped. I have brought in painters who look and run.

I have thought about replacing it with tongue and groove but it’ll be a small fortune. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and what I might be able to do about it. Can I replace it with another type of board?

Little more background; When we bought the house there was nothing wrong. It appeared after about 2-3 yrs. We have not changed anything with the structure to cause the issue. This part of the house was an addition done in the 90’s and I assume all done at the same time. The ceiling is about 500Sqft
Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts

Last edited by oh'mike; 08-01-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added spaces
twker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Drywall Question/Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by twker View Post
Looking for a little insight as to what may be causing my problem. We have a covered outdoor deck, opened on three sides. The ceiling is cathedral, going from 9í to 20í. The roof above is insulated and has a ridge and soffit vent. The ceiling is covered with greenboard. How do I know you may ask? The paint has peeled from the board in sheets. I can see the surface of the board. I have scraped some of the peeling paint from the ceiling with little effort but the really strange thing was I was able to remove the taping with no problem too. I have put primer on the areas that I have scraped. I have brought in painters who look and run. I have thought about replacing it with tongue and groove but itíll be a small fortune. Just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and what I might be able to do about it. Can I replace it with another type of board?
Little more background; When we bought the house there was nothing wrong. It appeared after about 2-3 yrs. We have not changed anything with the structure to cause the issue. This part of the house was an addition done in the 90ís and I assume all done at the same time. The ceiling is about 500Sqft
Thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts
Sheetrock is not an outdoor product. Even greenboard.
You should putup a ceiling that's meant for exterior use.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-01-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Drywall Question/Issue

They make gypsum board for exterior use. Green board ain't it. Use an exterior rated board with the proper tape, compound and paint. As long as there is sufficient ventilation along the underside of the roof deck, it will last.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote