DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Drywall in old house (

Cossack 02-15-2011 08:56 AM

Drywall in old house
I am remodeling my bathroom in my 150 year old house. As is typical with an old house the studs on the exterior wall do not offer a flat surface for the drywall. Some of the studs bulge out while others look like they have been chipped away. How does one place drywall over this kind of surface? I tried various shims, but that is looking hopeless.
Thanks in advance to all who help.

WillK 02-15-2011 09:12 AM

Okay, from previous posts I see you're in Michigan. I'm guessing your balloon framed walls are 2x4. If you can spare the space, add 2x2 framing over the 2x4's perhaps and attach drywall to that, and with the deeper wall cavity you'll be able to put in more insulation as well.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.