Drywall Needs To Be Put Up Around Stairway - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

drywall needs to be put up around stairway

in the house my son bought. Right now the entryway has the wall studs exposed. I am going to help him put up the drywall but I am new to this too. I checked a few pages of postings and might as well start a new thread on this one. First, how do I know if the studs are ok as is or should we add new 2x4's. The studs actually look like beams. I don't have the measurements right now but they are kind of wide. Next, do all the edges of the drywall need to be butted together on the stud/beam or can they meet "whereever"? In reading, says I need a drywall screwdriver. Can I just use my cordless screwdriver/drill? How do I know what size drywall screws to buy? Is there standard spacing of the screws too? And I use a razor to cut the drywall, correct? That should get me started... thanks all

Advertisement

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cut the drywall with a utility knife, T-Square and a chalk line.

Hold the T-square in place while you cut.
Make the cut in the panelís good side. For safety, keep your top hand well off to the side and out of the path of the cutting blade. I use my foot to keep the bottom of the T-square in place. I start at the bottom and make the score in one motion.

Finish the cut. I snap the board by lifting the center and pulling the board toward me. Then I insert my utility knife in the break and cut the paper on the back.

Quote:
In reading, says I need a drywall screwdriver. Can I just use my cordless screwdriver/drill?
Yes you can. Buy a special bit (it's cheap) that will set the screw to the perfect depth which is the most important installation step) The screws need to be set below the surface but not so much as to break the paper.

Quote:
How do I know what size drywall screws to buy?
For walls and 1/2" drywall use 1 1/4" screws for 5/8" drywall and ceilings use 1 15/8" screws

Quote:
Is there standard spacing of the screws too? And I use a razor to cut the drywall, correct?
Yes. on the wall do not screw the top 6" near the ceiling. at the edges screws every 6" - 8" at each stud every 8" - 12" So you have at least 5 across and 4 in the field. Mark lines on each piece so you have a guide on the drywall as to where each stud is positioned.

You butt the ends in the center of the stud. Or a better way is to offset the ends between the studs and use a tapered butt joining board which pulls the flat ends in a bit making the finishing much easier.

The studs should be spaced on 16" centers. If yours are more than use 5/8" drywall to get a stiffer wall. 1/2" on walls is allowed but will show more bows in the wall.

Install the ceiling first. The the top wall panel then the bottom piece. Run the boards horizontally across the studs. Use the longest piece that will fit into the room to limit the joints you need to finish. Keep the bottom board at least 1" off the floor to avoid water wicking into the paper.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Brenda,
Try reading the info from US Gypsum on how to install sheetrock at this link: http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Con...tion_guide.pdf
Once you've read this, come back with questions not answered; it is fairly complete and should answer most of your questions.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

Good reference, and if you still have questions: http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-07.pdf Notice the floating corners, parallel or perpendicular hanging, and prime before and after texture.

Some tips: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021174058.pdf

http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

awesome, thank you! And thanks for "experiences" of what to watch for, do's and don'ts. I called my son and asked questions about the thickness, width of framing, ect. I don't know if he has the "metals" yet We'll find out! We'll be getting to this next week I hope so more questions to come, I'm sure: mom and son project so we'll see how it goes
brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

I'm sure you'll find it a real bonding experience.
You will both need patience.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote