Drywall Mudding - Tape Lifting - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall Mudding - Tape Lifting

:confused: HELP!!!
I have never mudded before in my life. And after I applied the tape and first coat of mud everything looked great...I was very proud of myself. But when I started applying the second coat the tape started lifting. I applied another (third) coat of mud hoping to cover up the bubbles...but the tape lifted even more. What id causing this, and how do I fix it? Do I keep applying mud until the bubbles are covered, or should I pull of the tape and start again? If I pull off the tape will my walls be uneven due to all the layers of mud I've already applied???

Advertisement

Drywall_Dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

That never works What it sounds like you didn't do is apply wet enough mud between the tape and the wall. Also another mistake could on been that you didn't run your knife over the tape to get out air bubbles and excess mud. It also makes the tape flat to the wall.

Don't fret about the mud you can wetsand it with a wet towel or hit it with a sanding block. But you will want to retape. Hey its just drywall.

Advertisement

Last edited by JustaFramer; 08-10-2005 at 01:19 PM.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

If you taped and fist coated at the same time that is probably where your problem is. I'm pretty sure the tape needs to be bedded and then left to dry before the first coat. The mesh tape can be coated right away but that takes some skill. I've had some success cutting out bubbles with the drywall knife, ( when they are dry), and then coating. >I am not a drywaller but maybe this info can help.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #4

SOS, somebody help me please, I need your advise about “evil door”. I live in apartment on the second floor above the side entrance and entrance to the basement, which has laundry inside. The problem is the doors that slam so hard that I can fill vibrating walls and loud annoying noise. It is really TERRIBLE. The doors are metals and very heavy. They should be always locked because the building located in the busiest area of Queens, New York. Somebody, please help me!!!!!! I need your advice how I can bring the doors in normal conditions. By the way, the super of the building is not able to fix, even he tried so many times. The landlord will take a lifetime to take care of it. In other words, WELCOME TO NEW YORK. Lovely handy men, please give me a hint or at least some suggestions that will bring peace in my life. Anna.

Please write me at annabond28@yahoo.com. THANK YOU A LOT.
abond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Home Remodeler

If there is no door closer (adjustable arm unit that controls the closing of the door) then one should be installed to slow the swing of the door to prevent slamming. You can ask the super to install one, but will likely get faster results if you buy one from a local hardware store and Do It Yourself.

Good luck!
rowanconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #6

It seems to me that you did not let that coat of mudd dry and harden However, all is not lost You just have some extra work ahead of you. The work no finsher drywaller or anyone else that I know wants to do SANDING.
You might have to sand back down to the boards. Then use the mesh with sticky backing on your seams. For your corners use that bonded paper. That is what I have done in the pass, But i am not a expert. For your corners, put a light coat of mudd down just enough so the paper can stick to it. fold the paper in half and lightly stick thebend in the corner.Then use your corner knife to put a heavier coat of mudd on while you making sure the paper is staying in the corner like it should. Take your time. After that let it harden. If you have any bubbles in the paper use you utility knife to cut them out. Do not try and mudd them, you are only going to get a mess Because as you know the paper will only pop back up later,pissing you off at the same time.

Advertisement

davidia1965 is offline   Reply With Quote