DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall, Mold Problem due to Leaked Water

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
Following putting tiles, and while installing the potty, we had a huge water leak (we forgot to shut the main supply valve:( ). We had wet carpet and wet wall at the bottom. Left the wall as is, removed the carpet, dried the padding and laid everything back in place. This solved our problem.
The owner downstairs (diagonally down) has the same minor problem, and we are working to get her problem fixed.
However I am totally worried of the people who live right down:huh: . He is not home and his fire alarm is going on. Do you think the alarm is going because of the water? if so, can we somehow access this water from our ceiling (may drill a hole?) From outside, I couldnt see any wet ceiling, or carpet.
If the alarm is not because of us, we dont know how to make it stop.. We've never seen this guy in ages, and I am not sure of the local police/fire can help us?????

#2 ·
Is the alarm going on continuously? If it is intermitently then it may be that the alarm is going off because of a low batterry. If contiuous, you should call the fire department I would think. Are you in a condo? Maybe call the association?

#3 ·
Following putting tiles, and while installing the potty, we had a huge water leak (we forgot to shut the main supply valve:( ). We had wet carpet and wet wall at the bottom. Left the wall as is, removed the carpet, dried the padding and laid everything back in place. This solved our problem.
The owner downstairs (diagonally down) has the same minor problem, and we are working to get her problem fixed.
However I am totally worried of the people who live right down:huh: . He is not home and his fire alarm is going on. Do you think the alarm is going because of the water? if so, can we somehow access this water from our ceiling (may drill a hole?) From outside, I couldnt see any wet ceiling, or carpet.
If the alarm is not because of us, we dont know how to make it stop.. We've never seen this guy in ages, and I am not sure of the local police/fire can help us?????
There is a very good possibilty that water has traveled down (through the walls and ceilings) to the lower unit where the fire alarm is going off.
The reason I say this is because we have seen this ALOT.
One of the services we provide is water abatement & repairs for apartments/condos for several large complexes with 4 floors of units, each placed directly over the other's corresponding rooms.

We have done a number of repairs because of what happens on the 4th floor unit's level regarding water. Some issues: sprinkler goes off due to small fire, water left running, pipes freezing, pipe leaks, etc...
What ALWAYS happens is the water continues to roll DOWNWARD ....yes even a small amount can make it's way done several floors.
I have seen it go down and roll onto the backside of the ceiling and out openings in the walls. I.E. - light switches, lighting fixtures, and SMOKE DETECTORS. There is a good possibility that the water has rolled moisture onto the backside of the ceiling and into the detector housing and caused it to go off...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.