Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall Length

I am now at the basement finishing point where I am trying to get drywall down the stairs. The problem I am having is with the size of the sheets. I tried a single sheet of 4x8 drywall, and I damaged a couple of the corners trying to get around the tight corner at the bottom of the stairs. At this point am I better off trying to continue with the 4x8 sheets and trying not to damage them, or would buying 12' sheets and cutting them in half be a reasonable option? I realize I would have quite a few more seams to deal with, which I would like to avoid. Any other ideas? (No window options or other entries) What sounds best? Thanks again for all of the help!

leted_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by leted_82 View Post
I am now at the basement finishing point where I am trying to get drywall down the stairs. The problem I am having is with the size of the sheets. I tried a single sheet of 4x8 drywall, and I damaged a couple of the corners trying to get around the tight corner at the bottom of the stairs. At this point am I better off trying to continue with the 4x8 sheets and trying not to damage them, or would buying 12' sheets and cutting them in half be a reasonable option? I realize I would have quite a few more seams to deal with, which I would like to avoid. Any other ideas? (No window options or other entries) What sounds best? Thanks again for all of the help!
You don't have an outside entry to your basement? A bulkhead? a garage?

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #3

Drywall Length

No outside entry. The garage is attached to the house, but the only access to the basement is a stairway which goes from our diningroom down. There is an egress window, but nothing large enough for drywall.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall Length

That's really strange that there is no other access from outside.

If that is the case, then it seams that you only option may be the 12' sheet cut down the middle.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #5

Drywall Length

Thank you for your reply. You seem very knowledgeable, and was glad to see your response. I am currently thinking I will cut down a 12' sheet to two pieces - a 64" piece and an 80" piece. This way both should fall on a stud. I know they say the more studs you tie together with a sheet of drywall, the better and stronger it is. Hopefully I won't hurt the structure of the wall doing it this way? One of the pieces would tie together 4 studs, while the other would tie 5 studs together.