Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drywall into Ceiling Joists?

Is it ok to hang drywall directly into your ceilign joists? I've heard both yes, and no.

I don't really want to go to the trouble of cross beaming a ton of metal furring chnnels, mainly because the recessed lights i have up there won't be able to sit down far enough from where they are attached to the joists.

Any feedback much appreciated.

dtmbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmbizzle View Post
Is it ok to hang drywall directly into your ceilign joists? I've heard both yes, and no.

I don't really want to go to the trouble of cross beaming a ton of metal furring chnnels, mainly because the recessed lights i have up there won't be able to sit down far enough from where they are attached to the joists.

If you mean directly onto the joists themselves yes you can. Most of the time they strap the ceiling to make it flatter or to miss any obstacles that are in the way. I do like straping them though which means moving any lights down.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
If you mean directly onto the joists themselves yes you can. Most of the time they strap the ceiling to make it flatter or to miss any obstacles that are in the way. I do like straping them though which means moving any lights down.
thnx for your reply!

By strapping, do you mean adding on a little furring, with some shims if needed (to level everything out?) I've checked the the ceiling with a level, and it appears to be very good. As far as obstacles, there's tons of wiring, but it's all run thru the pre-cut holes in the middle of the joists, so i don't ahve to worry about any of that. The only thing im worried about it the floor flexing a little over time, because it is walked over (above) a lot. Is this an issue, or ?
dtmbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Depends on the span, but I would say a safe bet is go ahead and install onto the joist. If deflection is a big problem then straps are not going to help much.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
thnx for your reply!

By strapping, do you mean adding on a little furring, with some shims if needed (to level everything out?) I've checked the the ceiling with a level, and it appears to be very good. As far as obstacles, there's tons of wiring, but it's all run thru the pre-cut holes in the middle of the joists, so i don't ahve to worry about any of that. The only thing im worried about it the floor flexing a little over time, because it is walked over (above) a lot. Is this an issue, or ?
Thats one of the reasons we use 5/8" drywall (noise reduction to). It is more dense and flexes less between joists along with a good taping job your good to go
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
.....By strapping, do you mean adding on a little furring, with some shims if needed (to level everything out?) I've checked the the ceiling with a level, and it appears to be very good. As far as obstacles, there's tons of wiring, but it's all run thru the pre-cut holes in the middle of the joists, so i don't ahve to worry about any of that. The only thing im worried about it the floor flexing a little over time, because it is walked over (above) a lot. Is this an issue, or ?
If you've got that much deflection, then you've got more serious problems to be looking at.

For instance: Tile flooring is placed on 2nd and 3rd level floors and does not have deflection problems on "modern day, normally constructed homes".
You should not have issues with your beams being wrapped in sheetrock, unless you have some serious and unusual load bearing and structural issues in your home.

Here's an example of furring out a beam with wood "strapping" in order to add sheetrock and hide electrical wiring (wiring is for two ceiling fans):

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-18-2007 at 04:24 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #7

Hang the drywall you are fine. The only reason to use 5/8 rock is fire protection ( I do recommend that).
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
Hang the drywall you are fine. The only reason to use 5/8 rock is fire protection ( I do recommend that).
Yes, agreed, FWIW - the areas in the pictures I posted were hung with 1/2" S/R, with the exception of one wall.
That one wall was hung with 5/8" because it was a fire-rated separation wall connected to the garage.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #9

...and actually, the more dense a material is, the less it flexes, and the more likely it is to "crack".
Thus, 1/2" S/R is less likely to crack than 5/8" S/R in an area that has settling or unusual deflection issues...
Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
...and actually, the more dense a material is, the less it flexes, and the more likely it is to "crack".
Thus, 1/2" S/R is less likely to crack than 5/8" S/R in an area that has settling or unusual deflection issues...
Good point, hey fire code here requires double layer of 5/8 between attached garage and house... you too? So if it's new construction I put 5/8" on both sides, if it's an add on garage you have to put two layers in the garage on the mating wall.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
Good point, hey fire code here requires double layer of 5/8 between attached garage and house... you too? So if it's new construction I put 5/8" on both sides, if it's an add on garage you have to put two layers in the garage on the mating wall.
Code here is 1 layer of fire-rated 5/8" for such a structural residential design.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #12

Some fire-rating information regarding partition walls and wall materials:

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001501...9/d001529.html
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:

Absolutely hang it right on the joists.

They make a self drilling 1 1/4" screw for metal beams. Do you have the 20 guage or 25 guage metal beams?
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #14

Definitely just hang it on the beams if it inst out of level and wavy. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to hang it on the beams, i personally always do. As for 1/2 vs 5/8 i personally would take the 1/2. 5/8 rock is about 70-80 pounds a board i believe, and its not fun putting up a board of 1/2 on a ceiling let alone 5/8. And don't anybody say, o its not that heavy i don't care who you are, putting 5/8 on a ceiling is no picnic.

dadflyn, its called a self tapping screw. Hilti makes great ones in all sizes they also make them for heavy gauge metal. As far as 20 or a 25 gauge beam, i hope you are talking about studs and track for framing because if your house has a structural beam made of 20 or 25 gauge metal you have sheet metal holding up your house.
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Use 5/8s rock!! You will regret it in a couple of years if you use half.

Rent a lift there like $30.00 a day where I'm from, hell even if you use half a lift is still worth it.

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote