Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

drywall hoists?

I am looking at buying a drywall hoist to do my basement. I checked into renting one and decided i can buy one for almost the same price and i'm sure someone i know will want to borrow it one day. I have done some searching and found a wide price range for the hoists. So for anyone with experience with these how much should i expect to pay for a decent one? I've seen them as low as 200 bucks and as high as 1200. I would like a quality one that will last but don't need the best since i'm not going to use it everyday. Thanks for any advice on these, thought i might get more replies in this forum instead of the tools one.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

drywall hoists?

A couple cases of beer and some pizzas will be much cheaper. Get some able bodied friends/relatives and do it the old fashion way. It's an expensive tool for just one project. Plus, when you're done, it will just be sitting around taking up space.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

drywall hoists?

The beer and pizza is a good idea and you could build what I call kick braces. A 2X4 with a carpeted 2X6 forming a T nailed to the end cut to fit your celing height. Once the beer and pizza guys get the drywall up just kick the braces (2) into place. Its not fancy but works great and saves your back. Used this technique for family room remodel when only had wife to help.
Mablamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #4

drywall hoists?

You can purchase 2 telescopic poles from HD and with some help you can use those for your ceiling.
I found that they worked well for me.
(I cut my pieces for the ceiling to manageable sizes so that I could do it myself)
Not a great idea, but you don't have to depend on anyone. And lots and lots and lots of taping to do.
Textured ceiling anyone.......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

drywall hoists?

craig's list. I bought one for $180, new. I understand that it is the cheap-o made in china version, but I only need it to last for one house worth of rock. I have a friend with a welder so I figure if something breaks I'll just strike and arc and patch it up.

I had to finish a 12 x 18 room first, so I already have the lift. Yes it does take up some room but it does break down and it is temporary. I gotta say, money well spent. I don't know about your friends, but mine can go through $180 worth of pizza and beer without breakin' a sweat.....and the rock may or may not get on the ceiling.

When I picked up my new lift, I came home in the evening, put it together and rocked the ceiling by myself in no time....that room alone was worth the price. I've wrestled rock with the t-braces in the past and I think a lift is way better.

When I'm done with it I will put it back up for sale and get whatever I can get for it.
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #6

drywall hoists?

Thanks steve, i'm going for the idea of not having to depend on friends to help and i am planning on finishing an attic with sloped ceilings so the lift will be nice for that. Plus i'm sure friends will be asking to borrow it. Just wondering if the el cheapo lifts are going to last or are a waste of money? I know you get what you pay for but i don't need the best, just something decent. Thanks for any input on which lift to buy.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

drywall hoists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Thanks steve, i'm going for the idea of not having to depend on friends to help and i am planning on finishing an attic with sloped ceilings so the lift will be nice for that. Plus i'm sure friends will be asking to borrow it. Just wondering if the el cheapo lifts are going to last or are a waste of money? I know you get what you pay for but i don't need the best, just something decent. Thanks for any input on which lift to buy.
If you have a Harbor Freight around you I think they have them at around 250.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #8

drywall hoists?

to be honest, I do not know what "brand" it is. I didn't expect much for $180. I did not physically look at any others so I can't give you a detailed comparison. However the one I got looked like pictures of other more expensive ones: tri-pod base with locking casters, cable operated telescoping center piece, big round crank for raising, auto brake to keep it from falling back down on your head, removable / tilting carrier frame for the wallboard. It tilts at an angle for easy loading. Once loaded it tilts flat and the edges that held the wallboard at an angle fold down so you can push the edge into another. The wallboard frame (H shape) extends for boards up to 12' long. The tri-pod base folds up as well.

One caster mount was welded on a bit angled, but it is secure and it rolls. Here are a couple observations that I would assume would be better on the more expensive versions:

The cable raising mechanism looks a little cheesy in that there is nothing to prevent the internal cable from coming off the pulley (no big deal with constand tension on the cable).

The break is a piece of rubber on the end of a piece of metal. Over time this could wear.

I could see the end caps coming off the holder frame (protects the wallboard from the bare metal ends)

To me these are the types of things that would come up in longer term use. It sure seems to be working for me and my small house.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

drywall hoists?

Steve - I'm laughing at your beer and pizza comment - so true. OK you guys sold me on the hoist. I have full attic and garage ceiling to do and it looks like for between $119 and $139 on Ebay you can get the same thing that Harbor Freight has for $250.00. And to top it off - I do not have to deal with those sideway looks from my wife after she says " you want me to do what". I'll do some shopping also but it looks like most are simple design until you go for the $600-$1000. Steve - did you buy from supplier on Craig's List?

Thank guys, Mark

Fresh off Craig's List - hope this is OK to do?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-06-2008 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Sorry, unfortunately, not OK to do, left the picture for a subject reference. (It's ok to PM same info)
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #10

drywall hoists?

I'm in the San Francisco bay area and found it on Craigs list. There is a company in the east bay that sells all kinds of lifts and equipment. Every so often he advertises these lifts. He told me he gets periodic deliveries and sells what he gets pretty fast. I ljust ooked on CL, but nothing there. I cannot remember the name of the company, but I do recall they had a website.

Sorry I don't have more info
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #11

drywall hoists?

whoa...that last pic wasn't there when I posted. Yea, I bought from CL. The guy actually drove it down and i met him in a Lowe's parking lot. It was new in a box. I looked at it, gave the guy cash, he gave me a price list of other stuff he sells, and we parted ways.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #12

drywall hoists?

I added it by edit.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

drywall hoists?

I built one tonight while doing my 900sq ft garage. I made it out of 2x4s. its really just a 9ft tall table. I can hoist a sht of drywall over my head onto the top of the table, and then go from there. Did 4 shts so far, 20 more to go.
BleachCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #14

drywall hoists?

Just in case anyone else is looking. I bought one off ebay for just over 200 shipped. It works great, seems well built and will be just fine for what i need it for. I got one with an extension, probably will never use it but it was only 20 bucks more. I believe it is a wise investment, even if it only gets used a couple of times vs. renting one for a week for the same price. Just thought i would share my opinion/experience for anyone else with this question. Thanks to everyone for your help with this.