DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall finishing

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JimmieC 
#1 ·
Two joints to contend with. Inside corner joint and a Butt joint just 12" away from each other. Taping & finishing the inside corner brings me into the butt joint area. Now when I go to tape and finish the butt joint, how can I feather the side of the butt joint leading into the corner? No room to work without disturbing the corner. Appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks, Jim.

#4 · (Edited)
You have to blend both the corner and the butt seam together.

Basically, you don't feather the side at all that is going into the corner.

You need to tape that corner all the way out with a 12" knife and feather the butt seam on the side of the wall (not the corner).

It sounds tough, but you can do this. If you're concerned about how the sheet above or below it (with out a buttseam) will look, then blend it in also. Make the other sheet's corner a little wider to match the Butt seam sheet.

Like this:

(Corner)<----12" COAT----> (Buttseam) ---FEATHER-->

Hope that makes sense..

#5 ·
Buid Well;

Thank you! You said essentially what Dave suggested, with the exception of the following quote: "Basically, you don't feather the side at all that is going into the corner". That was the key phrase that I was looking for. Appreciate the help. Jim,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.