DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall doesn't line up on ceiling

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
I'm putting up new drywall in a room. All the drywall/nails are out. I have the new drywall on a life and when I placed it up on the ceiling to get ready to install it I noticed that the drywall sits flush against the wall, but it's not straight on the ceiling joists. There is maybe a 1/2" difference where the two corners of the drywall sit on the joists.

I pulled it down a few times and made sure it's flush in the corner against the wall, and each time it seems flush and snug. Should i leave a gap on the wall side to make it flush on the joists or should i cut the drywall? My assumption is that I shouldn't need to change the drywall, that instead I've done something wrong in preparing to install it.

#4 · (Edited)
This is one corner of the drywall (away from the wall corner. Notice the amount of room left over on the joists.

Here is the other corner of the non-wall side.

Here the board ges over one full piece of 2x6. This goes much farther over the two boards than the other side.

Here are two photos showing how the drywall is flush against the wall.
left corner

right corner

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.