Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |

Drywall differance betwn green and standard

Can someone tell me what qualities 'green-board' has as opposed to the standard 'white-board'. I know it is used behind tubs and showers, but not sure why. Is the paper the only differance or is it made different?
Also, can it be used instead of the standard dry-wall, like if I was a sheet shy and put up some green I had laying around, would this still meet code?
Thanks
Sean

SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
(the original)

I'm not really sure there's any difference except the moisture resistant paper on the green. Green board is on the way out, though, and already doesn't meet new codes in some places. Things like USG Humitek and paperless GP Densarmor are taking its place.
I've subbed green for standard a couple times in situations like yours and didn't catch any grief for it...just don't sub standard where it needs green.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
Can someone tell me what qualities 'green-board' has as opposed to the standard 'white-board'. I know it is used behind tubs and showers, but not sure why. Is the paper the only differance or is it made different?
Also, can it be used instead of the standard dry-wall, like if I was a sheet shy and put up some green I had laying around, would this still meet code?
Thanks
Sean
Greenboard is not allowed on ceilings, at least here in Ca.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

The inspector just left. I didn't say anything and he didn't say anything, and I passed inspection.
Yeah, I've heard you can't use it on ceilings. I guess it can come down in junks if it gets wet. That's kinda why I was wondering if it is made differently.
Thanks for the input, guys.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Old Green board was/is basically: Regular old gypsum core, with a wax treated paper surface over it. This product is pretty much out of date now.

New style boards manufactured for humid environments are now a gypsum core that has been treated to be mold resistant with the wax treated paper. Some products are now rated as mold and mildew resistant. There is also paperless sheetrock that has a mold and mildew resistant gypsum core.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-19-2007 at 06:07 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

green board should NEVER be used where there is direct exposure to water.. like shower & tubs.. there is a reason why it NO LONGER MEETS CODE in these areas.

you can maybe use green board in the walls for the rest of your bathroom, that would be good.. but keep it out of your shower.

unless you like paying $60 for me to show up and fix your mess :P

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Going along with the previous post: behind tile, in wet areas (like tubs/showers) you should always use cement board. It is attached with cement board fasteners (not regular drywall screws) and their is a procedure to it's installation....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote