Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 75

Drywall costing

Hello, I'm about to start a project to gut and redo one bathroom. I plan to do most of it myself. However I would like to get someone in to do the drywalling after i gut it down to the studs. I'm just looking for a general cost I should expect for this work to be done, to make sure I don't get hosed by a contractor. The room is 5 wide by 8 long with 8 foot ceilings, and I'm planning on leaving the ceiling intacted. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, in case location is relevant.
Thanks.

Hobb3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall costing

In NH im seeing around .17 per square/ft of board (standard 1/2") and a high side of .80 a sq/ft on Install/finish. so at a 1.00 sq/ft all said and done(high side). With no doors and those dimensions thats a bit over 200. May be more for a small job...Im planning 19,000+ sq/ft of drywall and ive been getting Numbers a little under 1.00per sq/ft.

Hope this helps but my info my be off the wall as far as reliability goes, im sure some of the others may be more knowlegable!

Cheers,
Alex

NHERal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall costing

I live in Toronto, Ontario, and the cost around here to hang drywall is $2.00 per square foot, not including materials......

It is not a very big space, since you are doing most of it yourself, have you considered doing the drywall yourself?
It's not that difficult......

I just finished hanging drywall in two rooms, one 19 feet by 12 feet, and another 30 feet by 19 feet.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
weekend warrior

Drywall costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
I live in Toronto, Ontario, and the cost around here to hang drywall is $2.00 per square foot, not including materials......

It is not a very big space, since you are doing most of it yourself, have you considered doing the drywall yourself?
It's not that difficult......

I just finished hanging drywall in two rooms, one 19 feet by 12 feet, and another 30 feet by 19 feet.
Thanks for the info, I have considered doing it myself, however I thought I would save my patience for all the tiling, and spend a little to get it done professionally.
$2 a sq ft.+materials, more than I expected, good to know though, thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall costing

This is really not a "per square foot" job. Need a little more info to give you an appropriate price (i.e. concrete board/tub/shower info), but your probably looking at 600-800 US dollars plus materials (ready for paint price). This is more of a job for a handyman. A drywall/finishing prof. usually wouldn't do this small of a job IMO.

Last edited by jerryh3; 04-02-2008 at 12:20 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall costing

In MA, we are charging between $1 sf to $1.20 sf with materials. We may charge more. We are on the high side. Now, keep in mind, that is ballpark, for larger jobs.

A small bathroom, is generally NEVER priced by the sf, by anyone. The jobs are too small to price them that way. They are priced by the job itself.

My advice is to get some local quotes.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
weekend warrior

Drywall costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
This is really not a "per square foot" job. Need a little more info to give you an appropriate price (i.e. concrete board/tub/shower info), but your probably looking at 600-800 US dollars plus materials.
I thought it might not be a a 'per sq ft' job because of the size of the room. You are correct, I do have a standard sized tub in the room where I would want concrete board surrounding, a window in the tub/shower and a door entering the room. I'll get some quotes no matter what, so I can make sure I have room in the budget. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 154

Drywall costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobb3s View Post
I thought it might not be a a 'per sq ft' job because of the size of the room. You are correct, I do have a standard sized tub in the room where I would want concrete board surrounding, a window in the tub/shower and a door entering the room. I'll get some quotes no matter what, so I can make sure I have room in the budget. Thanks for the info.
Please let us know what sort of quotes you receive and how you proceed.
Interesting subject --- DIY or call in a "pro".
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
weekend warrior

Drywall costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
Please let us know what sort of quotes you receive and how you proceed.
Interesting subject --- DIY or call in a "pro".
Will do, I've got the first contractor coming to take a look on Monday.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 154

Drywall costing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobb3s View Post
Will do, I've got the first contractor coming to take a look on Monday.
Good luck.
I'm iin Ottawa too. Nepean.
I'm planniing a new bathroom at the cottage later this year.
I like to DIY, but am looking forward to your project and comments.

I noted in one of your posts that you found this forum quite informative.
I totally agree - got questions answered very fast. I did some reno in living room -removed wall - installed pot lights. Am about to start hardwood floor and some ceramic tile.

Last edited by orange; 04-03-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: additional info
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
weekend warrior

Drywall costing

The contractor stopped by, gave me a basic estimate and said he would draw up a quote. I got a 'guesstimate' so far of $700-900 (CDN) (including materials), which seems pretty reasonable. He also gave me a few more tips to make my demo easier.