Drywall Budget - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Drywall budget

I am not asking for quoteds or estimates, however, I am working on a budget for drywalling and taping a summer cottage with about 5000 sq ft of covergae area. The drywall estimate estimates I have received are way out of wack. One is .22 sf and .32 sf for tape & mud. The second is 1.12 sf for boarding and 1.15 for taping and mud. Is there a standard rate that I should consider a fair range?
Thanks.

Advertisement

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 278

Drywall budget

drywall quotes vary widely.

if you are going to be there, go the cheap route and keep an eye on them.

Advertisement

jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Drywall budget

I am wondering if the higher quote is materials and labor and the lower quote is labor only. Certainly that is a wide spread and requires more bids and the checking of references. I am not familiar with the material or labor rates in your area and I do not know your experience level with subcontractors, but just want to caution you to be specific; who is supplying materials, thickness of drywall, where it needs to be Type X, where bead is required, number of coats of joint compound in closets, number of coats in walk-in closets; if you have skylight tunnels, or walls that will be highlighted by the setting sun through sliding glass doors, that will need some extra attention you need to state it. With contractors (of which I was one for many years) you both need to state the obvious so that everyone has a clear understanding of expectations.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote