Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Drywall behind dishwasher

Hi,
I bought a new dishwasher from Best Buy and had it installed by their installer. Unfortunately, it sticks out about 1.5 inches, ie., it is not flush with my cabinets. The installer told me that the LG dishwashers are deeper than most and that he had pushed it in as much as he could. My question is: can I remove the dryall behind the dishwasher to get about an extra inch of space? The wall behing the dishwasher is an outside wall. I am desperate and this is the only thing I can think of.
Any other suggestions?

diyriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

No you can't remove the drywall & that would only gain you 1/2"

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

maybe the connections on the back can be change to 90 degree fittings? Recessed outlet..ect...
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

It seems strange that LG would make a non-standard sized dishwasher that would do this. I know some dishwashers are "oversized", meaning that the tub is larger. I could be wrong, but I thought these fit in the same size opening as a regular sized one.

I'd recommend measuring the space available and reading the LG installation instructions. They usually have some sort of dimensions in there that tell you how to route the piping so things fit properly. I've never had best buy install anything because I think you could do a better job at the install. So, I'd check the manuals and measure things just to make sure.
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

I have never used an LG unit, but have installed most other brands, including many of the high end imported units with the "extra capacity" tubs, but have never had any that were not designed to fit the industry standard 24" cabinet depth.

Sounds like there is a loop of drain hose and/or flexible water supply line trapped between the washer and the wall, and the installer has a ready bs answer.

As stated, you should not remove the drywall; the gain is only 1/2" and most importantly, it would expose the flammable vapor barrier on the insulation.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

ALL of the high-capacity dishwashers have very explicit instructions on exactly where to locate the supply and drain lines to avoid this problem.

Your installation manual will spell out the details. The regular size units allow extra room at the rear and and more forgiving. There's only so much real estate available back there.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
No you can't remove the drywall & that would only gain you 1/2"
Sounds like the installer blew it arranging the hose but if not please explain why he can't remove the drywall?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

The drywall works as a fire stop and will slow the spread of a fire. Without it, fire would have no barrier to stop the spread from the kitchen into the wall structure.
mrlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,134

Your installer is feeding you a line. I'd let Best Buy install something for me just about as quick as I'd let Home Depot do it. Which is never.

I have a new LG large-capacity dishwater. I installed it myself. The tub is deeper top to bottom but not front to back. The instructions were very specific about how to run the electric, supply, and drain lines because the connections are located differently from "typical" dishwashers. But the unit fit into the standard opening just fine.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlouie View Post
The drywall works as a fire stop and will slow the spread of a fire. Without it, fire would have no barrier to stop the spread from the kitchen into the wall structure.
What code requires that? The framed utility room in my basement where the furnace and water heater are hasn't had drywall on the inside since the builder built it. Drwall on the outside but exposed studs inside the room.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
What code requires that? The framed utility room in my basement where the furnace and water heater are hasn't had drywall on the inside since the builder built it. Drwall on the outside but exposed studs inside the room.
Any insulation that is flammable (foam board products) or has a flammable facing (fiberglass batts) must be covered with a fire rated material by all building codes.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #12

Interesting. The wall insulation wouldn't be exposed - it would be behind the cabinets and dishwasher. And the insulation around the dishwasher isn't covered by drywall.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #13

A Utility room is not the same as living space
The dishwasher will NOT cover the insulation
It will block access for a person to get at the insulation
So yes...it is exposed
Just because you can't see it doesn't make it covered
Its a hack move, I would never even consider it on an interior wall, let alone an exterior wall that will let more cold air in
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-23-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

As long as you don't live in a muilti-resident unit (condo, apartment, etc) - You could attempt to remove the drywall and install a sheetmetal section over the location - attached/screwed to the studs. Seal edges with heat rated silicone.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dishwasher installation