Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

dryvit question/opinions

I am considering the purchase of a home, and the exterior is dryvit. The home was built in 1995. The current owner has gotten a moisture report and has filled out the required property disclosure statement. I have not seen these reports yet. All I know is there have been some repairs to the windows (wooden) and to the dryvit. I'd like to live in this home for at least the next ten years, but am dismayed and discouraged by what I've read about this material. Also, during these slow times, I'm doubly afraid owners, inspectors, appraisers, etc. might try to hide things.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! By the way, I am located in the Mid-South. Thanks!!
thepinkhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

dryvit question/opinions

You clearly understand the potential problems associated with this system. I attended a home inspection done as part of a dryvit lawsuit. When properly installed it is a good system. If done poorly, SCARY.

For a house this knew you should be able to find out who built the home. Check on their reputation with the BBB and state department (you can find out if they have been sued for problems associated with dryvit).

Keep your eyes open and good luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

dryvit question/opinions

Get moisture intrusion engineer to check it out before you purchase. He can easiy make a few probes with a moisture meter. Anybody with experiece knows where the problems will probably be. Avoid anyone that just has a surface scanner or short (less than 1") probes.

The problem is not just the DRYVIT materials, but the window installation methods and most windows have installation problems. Once water gets into a DRYVIT wall, it is easier to soak in than to get out.

He will look for moisture in the insulation and moisture in the wood framing. If there is moisture in the framing do not buy it!

Make sure your insurance will not severely limit your coverage for mold.

Regarding the contractor, the actual people (subs) doing the job are more important since the product can be very fussy and it take training and skill to install it. Too often, it is used by people with no training or awareness of the timing and temperarure requirements.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-25-2008 at 05:32 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

dryvit question/opinions

Thank you both for your replies. I know who built the house, and I will check with the BBB for any prior problems or lawsuits.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but does the moisture intrusion engineer poke the probe into the dryvit? Are you saying the probe must go deep enough into the wall so that it can test the insulation and the studs, too? I'm also assuming they check several spots on the house????

When I looked at the home's exterior, I noticed a long, vertical hairline crack near the garage door. Now that I am better educated on dryvit, that scares the pants off me!

Thanks again for your help!
thepinkhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

dryvit question/opinions

It does go deep - the dual probes are either 4" or 6" long. It does require pentrating from the both outside and inside in some cases.

If the seller balks at permitting it, he must have something that he thinks is bad.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

dryvit question/opinions

The dryvit inspection I witnessed was startling. The inspector pushed a six inch screwdriver through an exterior wall. He pushed it through a stud like a hot knife through butter. This was not at a window.