Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |

DryLok was holding my foundation together?

Me again. The guy with the uneven basement walls and XPS going up (which I am going to film / document)

NE Ohio. 1940s House. Cinder block basement.

As I'm cleaning up the wall for the XPS to go up, I'm removing lots of lose DryLok. Probably years of it.
In the process, I'm realizing that most of the 'bumps' are large or small patches of concrete into the foundation.

However, there are several places where removing the drylok is exposing cracks with air coming thru them. A few run along mortar lines and are thick enough to get a knife edge into. A few are even holes (finger).

These are both above and below grade in cinderblock. Obviously, the holes aren't filled and air is getting in the top and running down somehow.

I put some great stuff in most last night deep into the cracks. Should I throw in some hydraulic concrete (its what I have laying around), caulk the lines and cover? Just repaint with drylok and be done with it?

Starting the XPS going up in the morning, so want to shore up the wall part by tonight.
Any input appreciated.

jefferyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

Post a picture.
Foam is not water proof and should not have have been below grade.
This really sould be sealed on the outside not the inside to do it right.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.
To clarify: No water issue on this wall in the basement.
The issue is air coming through cracks - which I am wondering if I should treat as structural (add cement) or just fill the gaps and move on.

Ran a 7d test with plastic sealed to exposed cinder - zero moisture.

House is waterproofed from outside. (Apparently one of the only things that turned out to be true when we bought the house...but that's another story...)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

Which direction are the cracks running? How long are they? How wide are they?

These may be indicative of larger structural issues.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

"These are both above and below grade in cinderblock. Obviously, the holes aren't filled and air is getting in the top and running down somehow."

And in the spring water will follow the below grade cracks.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

And then he asks himself..."do i even want to keep asking questions?"

So irritated right now.
Thank you ALL so far for the input. Your input is very valued, and good to keep me asking the right questions.

I will update with some pics of the cracking.

The "inspector" (he turned out to be an idiot of sorts) noted that the wall had indeed shifted over the years, but that it was stable and there were no issues. The waterproofing (full dig out, gravel backfill) apparently stopped any movement.

Like you said, though, Canarywood - where there is air, there can be water.

This was just a simple ManCave / Music Studio project a few weeks ago. Now I'm +$500 on budget and not enjoying a single flippin moment. Irritated, frustrated. Ok, rant mode: off.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyscott View Post

So irritated right now.
Thank you ALL so far for the input. Your input is very valued, and good to keep me asking the right questions.

The "inspector" (he turned out to be an idiot of sorts) noted that the wall had indeed shifted over the years, but that it was stable and there were no issues. The waterproofing (full dig out, gravel backfill) apparently stopped any movement.

This was just a simple ManCave / Music Studio project a few weeks ago. Now I'm +$500 on budget and not enjoying a single flippin moment. Irritated, frustrated. Ok, rant mode: off.

Hang in there,there's a fix for everything,hydraulic cement will last for a few years until there's movement,but epoxy or polyurathane will be a permanent fix,stuff is a little pricey but it's a once and done deal.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyscott View Post

So irritated right now.

Ayuh,.... If yer feelin' wind,... What's the Outside look like in that area,..??

Better to stop it at the outside of the envelope ain't it,..??

'n don't feel to bad,...
I've never done a project that didn't lead to unforeseen experiences,...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote