Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Dryer Venting question (Another one)

I need to install / re-run our dryer vent for our electric dryer. It appears to have been disconnected or poorly installed and gets no air out of the vent at the side of our house.

The existing one has a long run, probably 30 feet or so. It goes down through the floor and then makes 90 and takes the straight shot to the side of the house over a bathroom and a bedroom.

The people that installed it used a combination of flex metal duct and flex vinyl duct. This repair will probably involve breaking out some drywall. I don't see any other opportunities to steer it to another exterior wall or out the roof.

As far as materials for the vent:
Is pvc suitable for this? How about rigid tin without using screws? Flex duct has always seemed inferior for this type of use. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks in advance.

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #2

I have never used flex metal duct for a dryer exhaust so can't say whether or not it's a good idea. The flex vinyl, on the other hand, would be a very poor choice. I don't think it's code legal for dryers and I'm not sure you can even buy it any more. Nor would I use PVC.

Dryers usually have some specification for how long the exhaust run can be, how many bends, etc. I may be wrong, but 30 ft seems a bit long to me. You might want to consider a booster fan.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

Do not use flex. I don't think PVC is permitted as it is flammable. The solid tin or aluminum pipes duct taped with real duct tape(the metal stuff) would be my choice.
drtbk4ever (07-05-2012)