Dryer Venting Puzzle... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
No pain, no gain!

Rewards Points: 87

Dryer venting puzzle...

I have relocated the original laundry to a room adjacent to a garage space.
My original idea was to leave this "garage" open on both ends--like a porte cochere--so I clamshelled the dryer vent to the wall, exiting into that area, since it was always open. The grand Plan was for a separate new garage and workshop--now put on hold for financial reasons.

So now I need to use that space for a workshop at least temporarily, and need to have the dryer venting to the outside.

Choices:

1. Vent to the front of the house: this would involve a soffit for the full length of the room, and the exit point would land behind one of the downspouts--(distance ~16 ft; one right angle)--downspout is from an integrated roof scupper, so it it not easily relocatable;

2. Vent to the rear of the house--this would involve taking the vent pipe up into the roof joists of the flat roof to get over the door header to the laundry room and the door to the outside. Once clear of the outside wall, it would have to turn down from the soffit--not the best to try to install some sort of outside vent (distance ~12 ft, at least 2 and possible 3 right angles;

3. Take the vent straight up through the roof--attached is one copper roof jack that would work (and I know I have saved a link to a decent galvanized one too)--except we live in upstate NY where we do get snow, and I'm worried about vent blockage (as well as the challenge of cutting holes in flat roofs and keeping them water tight)--def. the shortest and most direct;

4. Take the vent up into the joist area, and route straight back into the garage area, drop down in front of the outside wall and through the wall with a conventional style vent (or out to the soffit and drop, if there is a suitable vent)--~18 ft with at least 3 right angles. I am planning to insulate this cavity, and the garage will be closed in with a door at each end, but my concern would be with condensation because of length of run.

So....it feels like four bad choices, and I would love to hear some opinions about which one might be the best choice and why
Attached Thumbnails
Dryer venting puzzle...-untitled.jpg   Dryer venting puzzle...-rewilliams_2233_155334099.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by paredown; 11-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
paredown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 332

Dryer venting puzzle...

We had a roof vent with a supplemental fan for a few years, then when it quit working we simply cut a hole into the garage for it. That was 35 year ago. We've had no problems venting into the garage, although we do open the door a smidge to allow the humidity to escape.

I'd say just leave the vent where it is - you'll appreciate the extra heat in the winter and in the summer you can just open a window or door partially.

Advertisement

imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,206

Dryer venting puzzle...

You should check your dryer's manual. I have only a gut feeling that an 18-ft run with three right angles would not be acceptable, but the manual should tell you what is.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Dryer venting puzzle...

you do not state whether this is a four inch or 6 inch vent. reduction for elbows is based upon diameter of vent.

per the 2009 International Residential Code the maximum length of dryer vent is 25 feet. there is a reduction in length for every 90 you have depending on 4 inch or 6 inch vent. check out this link for the code requirements, and the reduction per 90. Some simple math will give you the best results.

per Section 302.5.2 of the 2009 IRC:

R302.5.2 Duct penetration. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage.

Therefore venting directly into a garage is not allowed. This is due to the toxic by-products from your car's exhaust. Don't want carbon monoxide (CO) coming into your home.

whether you are under the IRC building code or not these requirements typically come about because of life safety, health or structural issues that have arose over the years. Not saying you have to do it this way, but this is what is recommended (required if new construction).

hope this helps!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
paredown (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
No pain, no gain!

Rewards Points: 87

Dryer venting puzzle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
Therefore venting directly into a garage is not allowed. This is due to the toxic by-products from your car's exhaust. Don't want carbon monoxide (CO) coming into your home.

whether you are under the IRC building code or not these requirements typically come about because of life safety, health or structural issues that have arose over the years. Not saying you have to do it this way, but this is what is recommended (required if new construction).

hope this helps!
Thanks for chapter and verse on the code--and originally I was only willing to vent into the "garage" because it was effectively open space. (The POs had sawed the back out of it to provide access to the original front door when they joined the new street.)

I now have a new front door, so I will be putting up garage doors on both ends to return the garage to useable space...

Looking at it again, I could soffit and direct to the back of the house and do a standard exterior vent--this is the shortest distance other than the roof, but that would require redoing the exterior door with a less tall door--which would not be a bad thing, since it is a non-fire-rated door--but of course, this is how project creep starts....
paredown is offline   Reply With Quote