DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dryer Vent through Rim Joist

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tham 
#1 ·
I'd like to drill a 4" hole through my rim joist and the brick to vent my dryer. Problem is that my furnace vent and intake are in the same area (see picture). I do not want to jeopardize the integrity of this joist with too many large holes for venting. I'd like to vent the dryer about 2 feet to the right of the furnace vent. Any opinions out there on if I should move forward with my plan of putting the dryer vent in at this location?

Also, I was planning on drilling a bunch of small holes through the brick and chiseling away to make the hole. Does anyone have any tips so that I do not crack or ruin the surrounding brick?

Thanks guys

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
why not double up the rim joist where the 4" hole will be. Go about 16" in either direction from center of the hole with the added rim joist piece, do not add nails where you will be making the hole. Drill lots of holes to make your circle in the brick and then start chipping away, a jack hammer with a chisel bit works great for getting the build up out, or a cold chisel...

#4 ·
Hand Drive, the rim joist is actually already doubled up with 2x's so I'd be tripling it up. Doesn't sound like a bad idea

Pitts, thanks for the info on the bit, but I can only imagine how much one of those bits would cost for a 1 time thing. I already have a hammer drill available, so this will be the desired method.

I can always see how much the guy who put my furnace in would charge to drill the hole, he did a good job with the 2 you see above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.