Dryer Duct Not Hooked Up! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer duct not hooked up!

Bought a new modular, fully hooked up and inpected and ready to move in. inspection signed off. all work completed by modular home sales office. very dusty house and just couldn't figure out why, just thought it was the area. after a year of this i got under the house to see no dryer exhaust duct. The dryer had been exhausted into the walls of my new home. My family has had constant headaches and never feel well. Do i have a serious problem here. I did hook up vent tube. This home has the insulated bag and the exhaust was escaping into interior walls. Called sales dept. and they went into complete defensive mode with an ending of threats and f/u and hungup. I have contacted manufacture and they seem to be concerned, but are treading softly on the matter. HELP!! Thanks....David in the great white north!

Advertisement

happytroutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

First of all, it's obviously not ideal to vent into the wall cavity, but, is the dryer electric or gas?

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

electric dryer
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Venting moistrure into the walls is not a good idea
That will cause mold & rot
How long was it hooked up this way ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Obviously the exhaust vent was hooked up to the wall and was covered up by whoever sided the house. Easy fix, follow the ducting to the wall and pull out. Drill a center hole through the wall and siding. Find hole on the outside, cut out a 3 or 4" hole (depending on the vent size) and install the vent.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-18-2010 at 01:23 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

approximately a year, mold growing on under floor insulation and joists. but cannot get to inner walls, unless i pull gyproc. this may be something i'll be turning into my insurance. I HAVE A 10 YEAR WARRANTY ON HOME , BUT HAVE LOST ALL TRUST IN THESE PEOPLE.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #7

Vent tube was there ,but was just exhausting into interior wall. The vinyl covered gyproc that they use in manufactured homes is lifting on this wall and bedroom wall oppposite side. I have a 10 year warranty and do not have any trust in these people. May decide to turn into insurance. I have been looking at some other sites regarding canadian federal regulations on this matter, this realy could turn into a very large problem. I'm realy worried about any health risks and if i decide to sell, will this come back to haunt me?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

I must have missed the interior wall part but if you have access to the duct work in the crawl space it shouldn’t take more than a hour for someone to route it out through the outside wall. At least you’ve fixed it now. The battle with the manufacture and insurance companies I’m sure will take much longer.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-18-2010 at 05:10 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote