Dry Wall Bathroom - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dry Wall Bathroom

I'm putting up new dry wall on the ceiling of our bathroom this weekend and I'm not sure what to use. I read I an earlier posting that it should be a special kind of dry wall because of the dampness and a special thickness if the rafters are 24". Sorry to duplicate someone elses question but I can't find the posting

Advertisement

MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dry Wall Bathroom

You need to have ventilation in the bathroom for any type of drywall to last. You should use 5/8" drywall on the ceilings with 24" OC spacing. See if you can find mold free drywall like denshield. Technically 1/2" from some manufactures can be used for this spacing. But 1/2" green or purple drywall is not as still and cannot be used with this spacing. You will need to add furring strips perpendicular to the ceiling joists and set them at 12" OC for these type of drywall panels.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dry Wall Bathroom

Here's a link to others:
http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...t-gypsum-panel
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Dry Wall Bathroom

Mikey,
I have made the switch in all of my bath remodels to DenArmor + instead of Denshield. Although it does not have the waterproof qualities, it is great for mold and mildew, and is rated better for Sag resistance. It also has recessed edges like reg drywall, so it is easier to finish for paint

Trace
Tracymc is offline   Reply With Quote