Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

I am having a dilemma trying to decide on what I want to do. I like the way drywall looks better but practicality is better with drop ceiling.

Is it terribly hard to install drop ceilings?

LiquidSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

A builder friend convinced me to use drywall in my basement office and I'm very glad I did. You can design in access panels or wire chases if you know you'll need them.

walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Drop ceilings are easy.

If you don't have room to spare in your height, go with drywall.
BobKbta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKbta View Post
Drop ceilings are easy.

If you don't have room to spare in your height, go with drywall.
if I do a drop ceiling, i'd drywall around the low points (ducts and beams) and drop ceiling the rest. That way I can have as much room as possible.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Haven't found a drop ceiling that don't remind me of work and fluorescent lighting. Go with drywall with access panel, its worth the bit of extra efforts. If you are going to do drop ceiling, don'g get the deep fissure tiles they sell at typical home product store, go for something solid and flat that looks like drywall and a thin profile track instead of the upside down Ts.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

I finished my basement (about 1350 finished) with drywall in the majority, but drop cieiling in a couple rooms and along the areas where the HVAC trunks, main water, and main eletrical run for access.

While drywall does look a little cleaner, you can find really nice looking acoustic drop ceilings and they are really easy to install. I used drop tiles with a 1/4" beveled reveal which don't look nearly as industrial as the flat ones. I have sections that are white and sections that are flat black in my media room. It is really easy to install, the only thing that made the larger rooms easier was a laser level.

With all this being said, cost could be a factor. .. . the tiles were very expensive compartively since I went with a nicer tile. I think it cost me about $1000 for all the tiles, hangers, etcs for around 600 sq ft from a USG direct store (not a chain) I can't remember the exact one I purchased, but something like this:
http://www.usg.com/frost-ceiling-panels.html

Instead of painted foam, they are like form. They are much more rigid and provide better sound control.
TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #7

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Another quick note.. . . .the drop product I used only requires 3" of clearance for installation and there were some on the market that only need 2" of clearance for install so you don't lose much headroom with it.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #8

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANC View Post
I finished my basement (about 1350 finished) with drywall in the majority, but drop cieiling in a couple rooms and along the areas where the HVAC trunks, main water, and main eletrical run for access.

While drywall does look a little cleaner, you can find really nice looking acoustic drop ceilings and they are really easy to install. I used drop tiles with a 1/4" beveled reveal which don't look nearly as industrial as the flat ones. I have sections that are white and sections that are flat black in my media room. It is really easy to install, the only thing that made the larger rooms easier was a laser level.

With all this being said, cost could be a factor. .. . the tiles were very expensive compartively since I went with a nicer tile. I think it cost me about $1000 for all the tiles, hangers, etcs for around 600 sq ft from a USG direct store (not a chain) I can't remember the exact one I purchased, but something like this:
http://www.usg.com/frost-ceiling-panels.html

Instead of painted foam, they are like form. They are much more rigid and provide better sound control.
This is actually the tile I was getting if I were to do a drop. http://tinyurl.com/yl9wf2j
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

I actually installed my first drop ceiling grid this weekend and I'm pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Sure, it doesn't look as good as sheetrock but it is a heck of a lot easier to hang. Mine's in my basement shop, so its acoustic properties are a benefit as well.

FYI...I did find that the local steel studs/sheetrock dealer was a heck of a lot cheaper on the grid ceiling materials than Lowes and Home Depot were....Easily 15% cheaper.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I actually installed my first drop ceiling grid this weekend and I'm pleasantly surprised how easy it was. Sure, it doesn't look as good as sheetrock but it is a heck of a lot easier to hang. Mine's in my basement shop, so its acoustic properties are a benefit as well.

FYI...I did find that the local steel studs/sheetrock dealer was a heck of a lot cheaper on the grid ceiling materials than Lowes and Home Depot were....Easily 15% cheaper.
was that your first time installing a grid ceiling? How many square feet was it and how long did it take you?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #11

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

I should mention when I did my part drywall part drop it was my first time on both. Really easy with the right tools, a laser level, good drill, pliers, level, etc. I think it took about an entire day by myself for all 600 sq foot and that included all the cutting and adjusting of tiles.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 566

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Romex can not be left exposed above a grid ceiling. All romex must be behind drwall, or replaced by conduit, flex, or MC
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #13

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSlap View Post
was that your first time installing a grid ceiling? How many square feet was it and how long did it take you?
I hung 12x24' with the help of a friend in about 2 hours. Didn't get it all leveled up, but it is hanging and I just need to go around and adjust the wires. Yes, it was my first grid ceiling installation. Not much to it other than really good planning before you start.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Drop Ceiling or Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Romex can not be left exposed above a grid ceiling. All romex must be behind drwall, or replaced by conduit, flex, or MC
You will want to check NEC 334.12 (A)(2)

nap is offline   Reply With Quote