Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Driveway thickness???

I want to replace my Driveway I want the Upper part (18-20'w x 30' long) to be Concrete. Not sure what Thickness to make it. the lower I think will just Be Blacktop. as it's another 50-60 feet of concrete.

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Driveway thickness???

Standard thickness is 4 inches. I like to thicken the edges to 12 inches
in colder climates.

jbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,128

Driveway thickness???

Just 4" would be adequate, but I see many people going to a 6" since there is only a little more concrete, little extra placement cost and no more finishing cost. It gives you a driveway that will stand up to the unforseen mobile loads. If you have asphalt between the concrete and the road, any heavy load could get bogged down in the asphalt before getting to the concrete (LOL).

In our cold climate, thickened edges are a waste of time. Our standard mix is 4000 psi, air entrained. Some concrete companies will not sell anything less for driveways because of durability. Some contractors go for 5000 psi. Wire mesh is standard and some contractors will also add fiber mesh. Saw the control joints the next day and caulk a week or two later. The downside of the mesh is that to get the same workability, you need a little more water, that will ultimately reduce the strength.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Driveway thickness???

I had a slab poured for a Garage... (Slab on grade in NYS) 6" thick 12x12 around the edges.... Wire mesh inside and 2 pcs or rebar around the edges...... the Bulding Inspector liked it............... Guess I'll have to talk to the Guy I had pour that one and see right now I have Blacktop 1" finish another 1" finish 4-5" of base and then there's Bricks under that mess.................... I'm guessing all of that shoould come out..... and I do ned to get the driveway a bit lower and Pitch it away from the house a bit better...................
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote