Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

Driveway Gate Post. Is this deep enough?

I wanted to get your opinion on whether you thought this installation would be adequate to sustain the opening and closing of a 16’ aluminum single swing driveway gate through the years?

I installed a 4” x 4”x 10' (~1/4" thick) hot dipped galvanized steel driveway gate post. The hole I dug for the post was 4’ deep by 25” in diameter and belled at the bottom. Due to the slope of the ground and the height of the driveway, the post only ended up being sunk 3’ in the concrete and 6” deep in dirt, to allow for grass growth over the concrete. The remaining 6” below the base of the post is concrete, which would equal the entire depth of the hole 4’. The hole took 17 bags of 4000 psi Quickcrete to fill. It was recommended that I use at least 7-8 bags of concrete. I was told by the manufacturer that the weight of the 16' aluminum gate would not be more than 250 lbs.

By the way, all of my 3 fence posts connected to the gate post are sunk in concrete. And the ground I am working in is hard clay.

Thanks for your help.

I had also considered filling the 6" of top depth, which is currently dirt filled, with concrete for added stability?

Last edited by MexTex; 09-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.
MexTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #2

hey there friend.
now sure how heavy the aluminum gate is, but it sounds like you could just about hang a pickup truck off that post. sounds like you've done a very thorough job and have a good pier and footing. no worries.

edit: just reread and found the info for gate weight. i still think you have nothing at all to worry about, assuming good fastening to the steel post.

i'd never even heard of a 4X4 steel post. that's cool.

Last edited by wombosi; 09-08-2010 at 11:21 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #3

if you do hang a pick up truck from it, take out the engine just for good measure. otherwise, i think you're good.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote