Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
fix it

Share |

Driveway & Garage Floor Control Joint

My house was built in the early 70's and the control joint (looks like masonite) between the concrete driveway and concrete 2 car tuc-under garage floor has deteriorated. About 2 feet of it is completely gone on one side of the garage and it's mostly intact on the other side.

What is the best way to fix this? Do I pull it out completely & replace it with new masonite? Use some type of crack filler?

Water has a tendency to puddle on the side where it has deteriorated b/c there is no drain in the garage and it seems the floor slopes to that corner...probably from settling and not design.

I'm pretty handy but am not very familiar with fixing concrete/masonry.
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,...

I'd dig it all out,+ refill it with a caulking/ crack sealing compound....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #3

just a bondo says,,, for what's avail easiest to you, pull it all out & clean the jnt well ( wire brush on a 1/4" drill follow'd by puffs from your leafblower ) so its dry & clean,,, stuff in some foam backer rod so it creates a joint sealant reservoir,,, seal w/polyurethane keeping the sealant level below the conc's surface,,, you don't want tires to contact sealant.

we normally ' tool ' the sealant to give it a concave shape - sealant depth:width should be according to directions typically 1w : 1.5 depth,,, there aren't any sealants that'd work full-depth if adhesion to the jnt wall's sufficient.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
fix it

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, this is an "ugg" project, but it's winter now so I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Couple more questions...How long will a sealer last? Is there a specific product you can recommend or should I just look for polyurethane crack sealer?
detailedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

understand the idea of a joint sealant's MUCH different than a left-in form board,,, sealants keep out incompressibles so that, when the conc expands in reaction to summer heat, whatever found its way into an open jnt won't spall the conc,,, in the winter chill when conc contracts, jnts're the most open & susceptible to dirt, stones, etc.

for res use, look for 7 - 10 yrs if you properly install it,,, i like polysulfide or 100% silicone but you can't get it at the apron stores.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote