Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Driveway damage

I've damaged my driveway using Prestone Heat. Are there steps I should take now to prevend additional damage prior to repair?

Fmcgourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #2

Driveway damage

Is it safe to assume that we are talking about an asphalt drive? Could you please describe the damage? I'm guessing that the best you could do is make sure it's rinsed really well. Diluting it will certainly reduce it's effectiveness.
I found the MSDS for the product. According the the MSDS it is at least 94% CaCl2(calcium chloride), with the remainder made up of magnesium chloride, sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

Calcium Chloride is usually completly harmless to concrete and asphalt. It's the salt that usually kills. I wonder if it's reacting with oils in or on your driveway?

Does Prestone have an "800" tech line? I'd try that.

best of luck,

Steve

sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

Driveway damage

The driveway is cement. It's about 1.5 years old. The damage appears as small holes with cement popped out. Prestone does have an 800 number but the phone prompts direct you to issues like billing, etc. with no general customer service selection. The damage appears to follow a natural flow of water so I'm assuming the chemical ended up concentrated in a small area. I spread the chemical on all the driveway but only a small area was damaged.

I will try to dilute the area. The fix seems to be to dig-up and replace sections of the driveway.

Thanks Steve.
Fmcgourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #4

Driveway damage

There are concrete surfacers I have seen them used with mixed results. It may give you satisfactory results. If not your only lost the time and money to try it wouldn't make it any worse then digging it up.
I found a product on a quick web search to give you the idea what I am talking about. I don't believe I ever say this brand used but I think they are all similar. They can be used very thin like a 1/3 inch or so to surface coat. I believe you can pick up products like this at most large hardware stores.

Link to example
http://www.polymerica.com/concrete_p...te_surface.htm
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #5

Driveway damage

I had the same thing happen; I put down Prestone Heat Ice Melter, and where I sprinkled it, small chips of concrete came up. I've washed it off initially, and more came off; io thought it was comming from dripping off the roof till I traced the areas where I put the heat down, and the dmage area matches. Just Googled it and found your Post. I'm going to try contacting Prestone also, this is NOT good!
MDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

Driveway damage

I put it down just prior to a period of over three weeks of sub freezing weather, with lots of snow, ICE, and melt- freeze cycles....I'm wondering what the function of concrete attck was?
MDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

Driveway damage

Same here. I put Prestone Heat on my 3-year-old front sidewalk and it's developing little pits in the concrete. The concrete seems to be popping out more where I spread a greater concentration of Heat. Unfortunately the damage seems to be ongoing despite a lot of rain, which I had hoped would at least wash the crap off.

I'll try to contact Prestone for a solution to at least stop this. If anyone hears of a class-action lawsuit, let me know.

Radem
Radem44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Electric Radiant Heating

Driveway damage

Isn't there a warning on the container about not using it on concrete?