Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Driveway and concrete repair

Can anyone tell me how to stop the effects of deicing salt on my driveway and pavement?
cracking and scaling, which is also called spalling; and a disintegration of the concrete?
It's a mess. The more I try to clean it up the worse it gets.
I've tried hosing it but it just pulls up more concrete.

I've never had problems with this before. I've lived here 12 years.
The house was built in 1984 and it was a great driveway, large enough for a basketball hoop and 6 cars to park.

cleogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Unfortunately, you did not list your location on your post or on your profile, so all I can do is a guess.

Spalling or deterioration of older concrete is related to the number of cycles of freezing and thawing it sees and the concrete that was poured. You cannot do anything about those now.

Much of the concrete you see as "sound" is probably not far from spalling since it will readily absorb moisture that can lead to spalling. The existing concrete has already been exposed to the cycles, but the exposure so far has not bee as severe as the lost concrete saw. The deicers you use also contribute to possible spalling if they are applied in excess or are the wrong type. - Sodium chloride (rock salt, hadite, etc.) is the worst and only works when it is warmer or to provide "grip". You cannot get the ions out of the existing concrete. Much of the older concrete was not poured using air-entrained concrete (minimal extra cost) that is now required on most concrete placed or even sold for driveways in many areas.

Repairs may be never ending and will never return it to what you had. - Just a cosmetic "band-aid" for the short time.

This is just an opinion/guess without any more information.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
cleogold (03-01-2011), jomama45 (02-27-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

You are probably right but I think someone should warn the consumer.
The manufacturer and the retailer of any products that may do irrevocable harm to your property should have a large red WARNING: MAY DAMAGE EXISTING CONCRETE!
Huntsville, Al
cleogold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

the spalling you mention is so general its difficult to determine where it is - in ctr of slab OR alongside jnts ? more'n likely, if its jnts, there's ' incompressibles ' in the joint so the slab cannot expand when its hot ergo spalling occurs,,, ctr of the slab can usually be traced to moisture/foreign objects,,, could also be from an improper jnt pattern or ' working ' random cracks.

as in the other thread, make the proper repairs & overlay,,, btw, his ( dick's ) ' opinion/guess ' is usually right
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, driveway, pavement, sidewalk