Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Drilling through a header

I would like to install a new power supply for a receptacle and switch for my lights in my kitchen. The wall use to have a pass through and I want to close it up. The problem that I have is that there is a 4x10 header on that wall. I do not believe that it is a load bearing wall.

My question is, can I drill a 1" hole in the center of the header without disturbing the structural integrity?

Thanks for your help

victor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
My question is, can I drill a 1" hole in the center of the header without disturbing the structural integrity?
Sure,... No problem, just don't hit any wires or pipes...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

i can't answer if you should or shouldn't, but if you do....drill the hole in the middle of the header.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

If its a 4x10 solid header, then the chances are its load bearing. However, a 1" hole in the middle should not cause a problem
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Sure,... No problem, just don't hit any wires or pipes...

He is right don't hit any wire and pipes....
turboaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #6

The primary purpose of a header is to redistribute the weight of a load bearing wall across an opening to a set of jack studs. If you're seeing a header, there's a good chance it's a load bearing wall. If there's a double plate at the top of the wall, there's another hint. Of course, anything is possible. This doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to point out your wall assessment might be wrong.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
If its a 4x10 solid header, then the chances are its load bearing. However, a 1" hole in the middle should not cause a problem
That's what I'm thinking. It's not likely that somebody would install a header like that for no good reason.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies.

I really appreciate it, however I did read a reply that said that "it should not cause a problem". That worries me a bit.

So let's say that it is a load bearing wall.
Can I still drill a 1" hole in it without affecting anything?

I've even thought about routing the wires through an adjacent wall and then under the house, and up into the wall. The only obstacle there is that I am going to run my HDMI and Cat 5 cable there too.

Thank you again for all of your responses.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

I'm no expert, but here's how I would look at it. A header is a load bearing, structural member, just as a joist is, just as a stud in a bearing wall is.

Code allows drilling through a joist as well as notching studs in bearing walls. The trick to such notching is that it's not excessive and not in vulnerable parts of the member. Is stands to reason the same principles apply to a header. If there is no code that specifically addresses drilling through a header, and I wanted to do so and also sleep at night, I would look at how "strong" that header is. By that I mean, I would look at what the maximum span that particular header (2x10 in your case) can support, according to code. That requires also taking into account whether you have a single story, two story, and whether you have an attic. Consult the IRC, IBC or comparable book for making the "how strong is it" determination. Basically, if you do the research and you find out that the 2x10 header comfortably exceeds minimum code, then I would think drilling a minimal size hole through it is very unlikely to compromise it. If it's just at or slightly above code, and/or the whole is not so small, then I would probably avoid drilling through it. But that's just me. And again, I'm no expert. :-) Worst case, contact an inspector in your area and ask for his opinion; that's what I've done in the past. You'll find out they don't bite and some actually enjoy saving people from making bad mistakes.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Ayuh,... Yes,... That's Correct,... Affirmative...

If yer That concerned, try to drill as small a hole as you can get by with,...
'n drill through a Knot,.... It's a weak point Anyways....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor07 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

I really appreciate it, however I did read a reply that said that "it should not cause a problem". That worries me a bit.

I've even thought about routing the wires through an adjacent wall and then under the house, and up into the wall. The only obstacle there is that I am going to run my HDMI and Cat 5 cable there too.

Thank you again for all of your responses.
It will not cause a problem!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #12

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your suggestions.
Since I didn't feel comfortable about drilling into the header, I went ahead and built a false wall in front of the old wall.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Take care
Old 12-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #13

The header is over a pass thru you're closing up? So now the studs are supporting the weight and the old header is just a big piece of wood, right?
If that is indeed what you're doing, cut the hole as the big piece of wood is no longer a header.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The header is over a pass thru you're closing up? So now the studs are supporting the weight and the old header is just a big piece of wood, right?
If that is indeed what you're doing, cut the hole as the big piece of wood is no longer a header.
Ron
Ron you are correct. I just didn't feel confident about drilling through the header. With my luck, I might have drill crooked. lol

I built that false wall already and covered the wires with those metal plates that they sale. it's not even noticeable. Also, I decided to run my light switch in that wall as well with two switches. So that means that I would have had a total of four wires running through the whole.

Thanks again